11 ✧ St. Mungo's Part 2

"Honey? Margret? Are you in there?" came my grandmother's voice. "No." I said from inside the bathroom for the second time today. "Come out. Please." I felt the anger start boiling inside me again, and I swallowed hard, forcing it back down. "All I want is for my own 2 parents to love me. Is that too much to ask?" I asked, burying my head into my hands. I grabbed my bag, and to my relief, I noticed I did have my emergency knife in there. I stood in front of the small mirror. I took a deep breath, and started cutting.

My hair came down in small chunks. The smooth brown curls, no more. Soon my hair was as short as my mother's. It was a little uneven, but short all the same. I pressed down my curls, trying to flatten it like my mom's. I got some water on my hands and tried to straighten it. A few curls still stood on end, but it was pretty good. I marched out of the bathroom, past my gasping grandma, in the elevator, and into the room my mum and dad were in. Neville was inspecting a wrapper, and when he saw me, his eyes grew with disbelief. "Merlin's beard! What happened to your hair?" he asked, but I ignored it. I marched right next to my mother, and grabbed her wrist. She let out a small shriek, but I held firm. I pressed her cold hand against my damp hair. Her eyes softened, and her grip tightened on my head. I gripped her other hand and pressed against her own head. "See? The same." I said firmly. "We are family." I continued. She suddenly pulled back, rubbing her hands together. "Marg...M-..." she said, and my eyes watered with joy. She was remembering my name. My name. Not Neville's. All mine. I pulled her into a tight embrace, squeezing her. Tears rolled down my cheek. My face against hers. We hugged for a long time, until I was pulled away. By Neville. "What are you doing?" he asked. "She remembered my name. Partially." I said, and he frowned. "But she doesn't like you. I thought she liked me..." he said, and I scoffed. "Well, apparently she can love her daughter too." I said arrogantly, and he gave me an angered look. He suddenly slapped me across my face, sending me to the ground. I felt my cheek, horrified. "She's mine! All mine!" he said, running to her bed. He took her head in his hands and kissed her cheek. "She loves me. Not you." he said, just as my grandma came in. "What's going on here?" she said, looking from me on the floor to Neville, still hugging mum. "He hit me when mum remembered my name!" I whined, but Neville frowned in disbelief. "No, she was trying to hit mummy, so I slapped her. In self defense." he said in a very convincing tone. "Margret! You should be ashamed. You are to stay in your room and not see your mum or dad for 3 years!" she said, walking out. Neville followed, right after me. 3 years? 3 years. 3 whole years.