Nineteen: Intruders

Start from the beginning

"Get help!" Carrick yelled appearing in the distance and waving his hands.

Ian vanished. The yard was silent but for Carrick's yelling. She hurried towards him, but her legs seemed sluggish, her mind moving in slow motion.

"We're not alone anymore," Ian said reappearing in front of her. "We're under attack. More altered".

Charlotte felt weak, her head spinning.

"What do we do?" she asked as Carrie came running towards her. His heavy footsteps made the ground tremble with each footfall.

"We won't be able to hold them off like this," Carrie said. "They drove right through our defences".

"I'll get Ethan," Ian breathed and vanished.

"How many?" Charlotte asked.

"Five".

"Five?" That didn't seem like a huge amount if they were being ambushed. "Did you recognise any of them?"

"I only saw the driver and I don't know who she is," he said. "It's not James". He looked at her as if he knew what she was thinking.

Charlotte stared at him, trying to ignore the unexpected disappointment that bloomed in her chest.

A loud bang, too close for comfort, drew her attention. The yard seemed to tremble under its force. She could just see the headlights of the vehicle as it reversed for a moment, before slamming back into the gate.

"Who else is supposed to be guarding this place?" Charlotte growled, as their vulnerability dawned on her.

"O'Connell was supposed to be up there with me. There are others, but nothing strong enough for these. They were able to dismantle the protection we had around the place".

Charlotte shook her head. "Fine – leave the through. I'll deal with them".

She had no idea what she was going to do, but if they thought they were going to tear her world apart anymore they were mistaken. Her anger was a solid stone inside her heart and she was ready to unleash it upon the world.

Carrie didn't hesitate. He turned and sprinted back towards the gate.

"Stand down," he yelled, waving his monstrous arms at the others still on guard.

"What are you doing?" Ian asked appearing at her shoulder.

"Doing this myself".

Ian didn't argue. Ethan appeared through the door, his expression grim. He took one look at Charlotte and nodded. Even if he had told her not to she wasn't going to listen.

In any case he didn't try to stop her as a black SUV thundered into the yard. It screeched to a halt. Altered students who were supposed to be guarding the warehouse, followed after, curiosity and fear overwhelming them.

Charlotte gritted her teeth.

The doors opened. Four clicks.

The first figure to emerge from the car was a colossal man, taller and broader than Carrie with a shining, pink, bald head and a heavy brow. The SUV dipped and wobbled as he exited it. He met Charlotte's gaze with dark trepidation.

She licked her lips. His worry tasted good. She was proud that she could strike fear in him when she was only half his size.

The second figure to move out of the vehicle was far smaller than the first. He was lithe and no taller than Charlotte. He scuttled about, his feet shuffling beneath him, a wide, tight-lipped grin on his green-tinged face. He tilted his head from side to side, his movements tainted by an animal-like grace rather than that of a human.