Chapter 11

"Get up, you lazy ass." I groaned. When I said I agreed to train, I did not agree with waking up at 5 am. He was such a dick. Suddenly my sheets were on the floor and I was sat up straight. Macsen was at the end of my bed, grinning.

It was cold and I dived to Macsen, grabbing my sheets from his hands and pulling them around me. Unfortunately, not only the sheets came back to me, but the idiot didn't let them go and fell on me. Way to have a great morning. I kicked him, but he didn't respond. No groan or wince.

"Is it hard, darling? Do you hate mornings?" he whispered, his head close to my ear, before getting up and then walking to the door. Before leaving the room he said, "Outside in ten."

I let out a low groan and got up. I closed the window I left open, just like every night, and grabbed my running leggings and a loose long white shirt. I tied my hair into a ponytail and slid into comfortable running shoes. I looked at my watch and saw that I had a few minutes left.

The kitchen was empty and I quickly ate a banana, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, and ran out.

He was at the creek. I smiled. That creek was my territory. The place I felt good. The place he got drenched, by me.

"You actually showed up in time, Evergreen." He smirked.

I snorted before giving him a cold stare.

"Fine, let's get to work." He said. Best idea he has had in a week.

"You have the power of water. It moves and is never stable. To control it, you have to have absolute control over it. You just have the advantage that if you lose control, it can't attack you. Unlike fire, water can flow smooth. Unlike air, water is more stable. Unlike earth, water is soft." Macsen said his eyes hard and drilling my head, making me listen, making me understand. "Nixie, whatever you're going to do, try to keep your emotions out of it. You have to learn with your mind first. Now, you see this creek, raise the water."

My mind went on a blur. Raise it. How? What the hell?

"Yeah, you might want to clarify on that. How the fuck am I going to raise it?" I bluntly said.

He chuckled, his hand in his pockets.

"See it, and then feel it. Make it." He pronounced the last words syllable by syllable.

I could feel the challenge in his voice, that tone that I had to prove myself. Prove him.

I turned back to the creek. The water was calmly streaming to the sides of the island, a steady stream. It looked like silk sliding in between my fingers. Silk. The water was silk.

I closed my eyes and imagined my dad's silk blanket, the soft green against my skin. The silk was the water.

I stretched my hand over the water and opened my eyes. The water was my dad's blanket. I want to feel it. A cold pulse inside of me started to warm up in one place. My fingers stretched.

A small drop of water lifted and hung in between my fingers, my body not daring to touch it.

A cold shiver went through me as Macsen came to stand behind me.

"Move it to me, Nixie."

I couldn't. My mind was stuck on the droplet moving from one finger to another. I stretched my other hand and moved the droplet from one hand to the other hand and back. I was so focused on it, that I didn't hear Macsen when he told me again to move it towards him. I was so fixated that I didn't notice him grabbing my shoulder, until a warmth was spreading from my shoulder all over my body.