Chapter 3

When we landed, we traveled through some farm village. We stopped at a big house on the side. It had a straw roof and white brick walls. The windows were square and low and on the wooden frames and doors, the paint was worn out. Next to the farmhouse was a field, fenced with wood, and some horses were grazing. Luna took the horses and walked around to the back of the house. We waited for a while for her return. She told us she had an uncle who lived on the way to Empyria. I think he had done the same as my parents, but how could Luna be in contact with him. Maybe it was a different sort of outcast.

After a few anticipating minutes, Luna returned, "My uncle has prepared some rooms for us. We can stay the night. Nevertheless, I think we first need some dinner. We can leave our pegasi in the stables with his horses. Come on, I'll show you around." she gave us an encouraging smile and we followed her to the stables. We fed our horses and then entered the house. It was something different than I expected. It was better than I expected. Instead of what I saw in the camp was modern interior. It was perfect. Everything fitted together. The kitchen had a marble floor with a black and white counter and cupboards. The living room was just like those lounges you see in movies. Small groups of sofas and chairs and coffee tables were placed together. Big lamps hung low from the ceiling. Plants were stylishly placed around. It was beautiful.

"Welcome to Uncle Ian's Inn," a happy voice called. In the room appeared a short, pot-bellied man with already grey hair. He had those big sparkling blue eyes just like Luna and her sisters. Around his eyes, you could see those marks caused by laughing. I love those kind of people. Until now, he seemed the most familiar to what I was used to at home. It made me think about my parents at home eating dinner without us. I tried to shake it off. I focused back to Uncle Ian and I noticed that just under his sleeve, he had golden marks, but I could not get a good look, because he tugged his sleeve back into place. The rest of the night was a blur of good memories. We got dinner, I think it was chicken and mashed potatoes, but I didn't eat much and after that we were led to our rooms. We each got a separate room and I was glad that I didn't have to share a room with someone. After taking a good warm shower, I went straight to bed. I slept like the sleeping beauty until somebody woke me.

I thought it was morning and it was time for breakfast, but the curtains were still closed and there was no light streaming through the gaps. "What's happening?" I asked.

Luna answered: "They followed us. We have to get out of here. My uncle has already prepared our pegasi and some food. Grab your things and we are off. Oh and take this, you might need It." she gave me a dagger and that really woke me: danger! I dressed and grabbed my bag. I was so lucky not too have taken anything out of it except my nightshirt. Since it was cold, I put on my hood. I ran out of my room and almost stumbled into Dylan. We did not say a word and just ran for the stables. We remembered the horror that had driven us away from our parents, away from our home. We had to make it safely to the city. I really wanted to make my mom proud. She always looked at me as if I never really gave my all. She always expected me to do better. I never noticed her looking like that at my brother. He always seemed to do it well enough. School was never a big problem for me, but the fact that I always did everything fast and just enough for a sufficient, disappointed my mom. I know I had always other things on my mind than what is important. But the things important to me always seemed unimportant to others. And look, here I am running from monsters thinking about myself. We are hold up at the kitchen door by Uncle Ian.

"You have to run across. I will hold your backs. Be quick and only make a stop if necessary!" with that we ran out, but I saw Luna looking around and I looked with her. Uncle Ian is fighting them with a sword, which I did not see before. Just before I turn around a dark one cuts him across his arm and blood begins streaming down. I try to focus on the stables as I hear Luna crying out. She joins me and we enter the stables. We just sat down in our saddles as the dark ones entered the stables and we quickly took off. I watched down as we rose up in the dark. The disappointed screams of the dark ones pierced my ears. It was like hearing nails against a chalkboard; try to imagine it, as if there are hundred nails, scraping this chalkboard. But what really took my attention was Uncle Ian running, blood streaming from his arm, creating a track behind him. At last, he entered the house and I felt Luna relax behind me. The moon was above us and I too calmed down. The air was cold but it woke me. I realized for the first time that I was never save. My thoughts made me long more to the academy. It already was a place I was longing to call home, a safe haven. I wanted to live in Empyria and have a safe life. I looked at my brother and he looked different. He seemed to fit in with the night, like every molecule around us bonded with him.