Natalie's Desperate Attempt to Play Matchmaker

Start from the beginning

"...but I don't know what movies are showing and it looks like it could rain, so I think that idea is out. Jake?"

"Hmm?" I asked, snapping my attention away from Dave and Kayla and to my girlfriend.

"Any ideas on what we could do today?"

"Oh," I said, "I don't know...Kayla?"

Kayla sat forward. "Yeah, I was just going to go to the kitchen to make tea." She stood up from the couch. "Dave, come with me."

Without really waiting for a reply, Kayla made her way to the kitchen while Dave sighed.

"I guess I'm making tea now," he mumbled, standing to follow Kayla.

Once the two of them were gone, I turned to Natalie. "Those two are-"

"Shh!" Natalie hushed with her arms out to her side as if she needed everything to stop moving in order for her to hear. I rolled my eyes.

I could barely make out the words Kayla and Dave were speaking but Natalie was acting as if she could hear everything that they were saying.

"You're so creepy," I whispered to her. She didn't respond to the teasing, she was too focused. I could tell she was beginning to strain by the way she gripped the seat's armrest and stared towards the kitchen with her bottom lip between her teeth.

Eventually, she gave up and sighed. "I can't hear anything."

"Serves you right."

She waved her hand at me and made a 'pfft' noise.

"Whatever. How are you doing, Mr. Mason?"

I grinned at her. "I'm great."

"Good," Natalie replied, getting up to stretch.

"And how are you?"

She gave me a smile that kind of caught me off guard. I had expected some sassy remark, but the look she gave me was just plain happy.

She started to walk towards where I was sitting. "I'm absolutely fantastic," she replied as she passed by me.

Before she could get completely out of my reach, I stuck my arm out and pulled her into the chair with me. It was nice just to hold her for a second. I wasn't cold, but the warmth of her body felt good to have against me. When she eased into me a heavy wave of tiredness came over me and I closed my eyes.

Natalie's hand brushed my cheek.

"I like that you shave," she told me.

I laughed at the random remark. "I've always shaved. I don't think I've ever even attempted to grow a beard."

She moved her hand to my hair. "I know. I just think you're pretty cute."

I opened my eyes and looked at her for a moment. I thought she was pretty cute too.

"Love you, Natalie," I told her.

A know-it-all smirk came to her face. "I love you too."

She kissed me briefly before pulling away and admitting, "I really want to know what they're talking about."

I rolled my eyes. "I know you do."

"Their wedding is going to be so great."

"Oh, please. They don't seem too fond of each other. I don't think a wedding is likely."

She waved a hand and leaned away from me. "Oh, pish-posh. They don't know what they want."

"And you do?"