Chapter 23: One Shot

Start from the beginning

They yelled in agreement. I shifted in my seat, feeling so many eyes fall on me.

"I have captured a beast from hell itself," said the lord.

The crowd roared. My seat started to vibrate. Please be something big.

"But let us first welcome Tobias!" He motioned to the doors across from the platform.

They opened, and the devil walked out. He went to the center of the arena to the sound of cheers. I glanced at the screen which showed a close up of his face. His eyes shone in the light. He needed to go back to hell. That was where he belonged.

A screech came from below. The area fell still with a gasp. I clutched the armrests. What kind of monster had he found?

"A fight to the death," stated Eadwyn. "Win and you can share a night with our dear Raja." The lord smiled. "Would you all like to meet the beast!"

The people cheered hesitantly. The ones seated below us were moving away from the doorway.

"It's a monster that shakes with fire."

I swallowed hard and sat up to see over the railing. The arena floored lowered to ensure the monster wouldn't escape.

"Its claws drip with a venom that burns through skin straight to the bone."

Tobias stood emotionless with a cocked brow.

"A beast you know well." The overlord gave the devil a smirk before sitting down. He waited, watching the crowds eager faces. "Release it!"

The door rumbled beneath my feet as they pulled back. The sound stopped, but nothing happened. I slowly stood, stretching out my neck. I couldn't see anything. Shuffling forward, I went to the railing. The entire podium started to vibrate. I glanced at Tobias. He didn't seem afraid.

"Where is it?" asked Nyko, who was also standing. "Has it come ou-"

Fire erupted up from below. I fell back, blocking my face as flames spewed over the railing. One gunshot rang out through the arena, and all was quiet. I laid on the ground, holding a burned hand to my chest. Clapping started to grow louder and soon it turned into cheering that shook the entire arena. I glanced at the overlord. He was heaving, digging his nails into his chair. Rising to his feet, he turned sharply and left.

I peered over my shoulder to see Tobias standing alone with a beast lying at his feet. It was covered in scales and appeared to have walked on all fours, but it faced was that of a cat along with its tail and feet. Long claws were arched up from between each toe.

Nyko came to my side and helped me up.

"What happened?"

He shook his head. "I don't know. I saw the flames and heard the gunshot. It was dead before the fire was gone.

"How?" I fell into his chest. "How did he kill such a monster so quickly? This wasn't supposed to happen. He was supposed to die."

Nyko hugged me. "He's the devil, Raja. This is no ordinary man."

***

The servant applied ointment to my hand and wrapped it while another ran a brush through my hair. The preparations were finished, like every other time I had been chosen, I was ready to be held by a man. But this wasn't a normal man, it was the person I feared most of all.

They left me alone, and I sat there in thought.

I couldn't do this. Not with him, not after everything he had done. My forehead was pounding. I went to my room to wait and laid down on the bed. I blocked out the light with my arm. My headache was growing. Rolling to my stomach, I positioned the pillow around me, so I could be in darkness.