The Break Up

The guys started to leave around 10. We were all tired from this weekend and the guys had practice in the morning. They would start preseason this week and the next so we probably wouldn't see them much. Well maybe we would. Jay would be moving in this week and if they were going to be roommates they would be moving in too. I went upstairs, changed into my cotton shorts and tank top and slid into bed. My phone was charging so I leaned over to set my alarm when I noticed I had a missed call and 3 texts. The missed call was from Kyle which I expected and a text. The other two were from Jay. I decided to check Kyle's text first.

Kyle: Hey leaving JD's now headed to bed. Goodnight. Love you.

Me: Hey. OK. Sorry phone was charging. Love you too. Night.

I mean it wasn't a lie it was upstairs charging. I just left out the part about cuddling on the couch with Jay. I felt terrible. I was going to hell. I mean we didn't do anything obviously but I still felt guilty.

I scrolled over to Jay's text.

Jay T: Hey thanks again for dinner AGAIN. You're amazing!

I could have literally died happy right then and there until I looked at the next one.

Jay T: You know.. I would be protective too if I had a girl like you. Goodnight little Layla." My adrenaline immediately kicked in and my heart was pounding. I can't believe it.

I didn't know how to respond but I knew I had to. Otherwise he might think I thought he was creepy, which was the complete opposite.

Me: Thanks, I try. I'm sorry he was such a jerk.

I waited nervously for a reply. It felt exciting and therefore very wrong. Buzz.

Jay T: Yea but he was just marking his territory.

His territory? I felt offended.

Me: What am I a tree and he's a dog?

Jay T: Haha yea you're a little maple tree and he's just peeing all over you. He better be careful I might pee on you too.

Ha ha ha. I laughed out loud at that.

Me: Haha you're such an idiot. Goodnight Jay Thomas. 

Jay T: Goodnight Layla Burns. Sweet dreams.

Shit I forgot about the paperwork. I decided it would just be easier to call him. He picked up on the first ring.

"You miss me that much already?" He sounded so sexy.

"Yes that's exactly it. No I forgot to ask you if you will have time to meet me tomorrow, Todd is dropping off the paper work for your house."

"Uhh I have practice, then tapes, then lifting and strengthening, then team dinner..." He trailed off. He was a busy man. "I could probably meet during lunch or after like 8ish?"

Hmmm. I already had plans to hang out with Kyle at night and if he wanted to move in this week he would need it done right away. I'll have to do lunch.

"I can probably do lunch. Are you guys at the stadium?"

"Yea but I can come meet you somewhere. Give me a break from the field."

"OK why don't you meet me at Tommy's? It's on West Cross right by the stadium. They have amazing sweet potato fries."

"Ha well I can't really eat those but I'll try one of yours. Sounds good though I'll meet you there. Two OK with you or is that too late?"