03.

The next time I saw him, I realized just how much I had actually missed him.

It had officially been four months since the last time I'd seen you at that warehouse. Summer had gone and the leaves had long since begun to fall. I had half convinced myself that you were just a figment of my imagination. Something I made up to pass the time or something like that. I probably would have forgotten you completely if you weren't so damn memorable. If our moments together, while short, weren't so meaningful. If I'm being honest, they were the realest moments I'd shared with someone in a while. It was probably why I remembered you so vividly. No, there was no denying your tangibility, but I was beginning to question our time together. We'd spent the whole night together dancing for the most part, but on occasion sneaking off to get some air -- well, I wanted air; you wanted a smoke. But I didn't mind because it was quiet out there, as quiet as it could be at least, and the stars looked magnificent, and we were able to speak louder and for longer.

I wasn't much of a talker back then, but I didn't want to stop talking to you. I thought you felt the same, but after two months of no communication I'd begun to question if you enjoyed the night as much as I had. It's not like you had no way of getting in contact with me because at the end of the night you'd asked for my number and I oh so willingly gave it to you. And two months later, I came to the conclusion that I was just one of many girls who you'd spent time with and forgotten the next day. It hurt a little more than I'd hoped, but not as much as I'd expected because in the back of my mind I was slightly expecting it. Anyway, it was just one night and it shouldn't have meant so much.

So I tried to forget about it too. Of course there were those days when I would have nothing to do and the memory would trickle to the forefront of my mind, but I did my best to dismiss it. And after a while, I learned to feel nothing towards the memory of you.

Or so I thought.

I was headed to my last lecture of the day, one that I would have to pass by that ice cream shop to get to. I'd long since learned to pass the building as I did every other building -- as if the spot held no familiarity for me. I may have walked right past you were it not for that ten dollar bill I had stuck in my back pocket earlier that morning for food and forgotten to move it to my wallet. Actually, I did walk right past you. I had no idea you were leaned against the brick wall of the building smoking a cigarette, exactly as I'd seen you doing that first time we locked eyes. Not until you tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me miss but I think you dropped your money" did I realize you were there. I was stupid, of course. How could I ignore a presence as demanding of attention as yours?

I turned around after checking my pockets to say thank you, but the words were stuck in my throat. The hand that was trying to give me my money was covered in ink. I knew who the tattoos belonged to, of course I knew, there was nobody in the world I knew with tattoos that unique and beautifully done.

For a moment, I admit, I debated pretending that I didn't know you. I toyed with the idea of treating you like any other stranger who'd happened to see my money fall out of my pocket. But I was kidding myself because you were so obviously not like other people.

I didn't really have to make a decision though because you spoke first, incredulity apparent in your voice. "L-Lucy? Is that you?"

Slowly, so slowly it probably annoyed you, I lifted my head from your hands to meet your eyes.

"Blake." I'd breathed. "Wow, you're. . ."

"Yeah."

And then we'd frozen. It felt like an eternity that we'd stood there analyzing each other, but was probably only about a minute. It was silent until I realized that your hand was still slightly outstretched with my money being delicately offered to me. I grabbed it from you and made a move to back away. I mumbled a thank you, and adjusted my strap on my shoulder as I tried to escape while I still had my dignity.

You caught my wrist. I froze again. "I-I wanted to call you." It was whispered, like a secret language that only the two if us knew.

I found the words slipping out. "So why didn't you?"

"I lost my phone and had to get a new one. I lost everything except the photos I'd saved to my computer and I didn't know how to find you again. I swear, I tried but I didn't see you around here for summer break and everyone I asked from the party didn't know how to reach you." You pulled me closer.

"I wasn't here for break. I went back home to visit my family, and the party was kind of a spontaneous thing for me. It's not really my scene, so I would be surprised if anybody knew me."

I checked my watch to find that I had less time to get to my lecture. I knew I wouldn't make it in time and my professor is not one who likes to be interrupted, especially for late students.

"I really did look for you, Lucy. Please believe that."

I looked into your searching eyes and back to my watch and in that moment, I realized that our night spent together meant more to you as well. I saw that you genuinely believed there was a connection between us.

So, looking back at my watch, I made a decision.

"Do you want to grab an ice cream with me?"

Your answering yes was the first of many shared between us.

[A/N]

You like? Let me know by voting and/or commenting!
-Livia :)

Written on: May 23, 2016
Posted on: June 26, 2016