Welcome to Prairie Rose

So this story is kinda of a shot in the dark. The old west is one of my favorite points in history so I decided to make a AU for rebels. I hope ya'll enjoy it.                                                                                           P.S. I just updated Rebels Season One AU but for some reason it is not showing that I did. Have a great day. 

Children of all ages came out of the one room school house. One little boy stumbled down the steps, and saw a tall man with brown hair pulled back standing by the large oak tree.

"Papa!" He cried running over to him.

"Hey Ezra," Twenty year old Kanan Jarrus chuckled as he caught the boy and scooped him up into his arms. "How was school?"

The five year-old slightly winced before putting a smile on his face. 

"It was great I learned that people once thought the world was flat." 

"Really?" Cocking an eyebrow at the wince before setting the boy into the saddle.

"Yep," the little boy smiled so big Kanan could see where he had lost one of his baby teeth.

"So how's the reading?" Kanan asked as Ezra's face fell again.

"I still can't do it," he mumbled.

"Hang in there, you'll get it," Kanan reassured him as he took his books and put them in the saddle bags.

"But what if I don't?"

"EJ," Kanan said using the boy's nickname. "You'll get there, you are only five years old, besides, it took me awhile to understand math and you seem to be really good at that."

"Yeah, I'm really good in math," the boy said a mischievous look in his eye.

"Yes you are Kid," Kanan chuckled swinging into the saddle himself and turned the horse back towards the center of town.

"Papa, where are we going?"

"Zeb wants to speak with me before we go home," Kanan said as they made their way in.

Ezra yawned and snuggled against Kanan's stomach and before he knew it, he was out. Kanan wrapped an arm around the child to keep him from falling and let him sleep. For the past few nights Ezra has been waking up screaming from a nightmare. Last night had been so bad that the boy had to stay with Kanan before he felt safe enough to sleep. Reaching the Marshall's office, Kanan cradled Ezra and jumped down landing lightly on his feet. He tied off his horse and walked inside.

"Ah there you are, Kanan, I thought you might have forgotten," Marshal Grarazeb Orrelious chuckled before seeing Ezra being held tight in his grasp. "He ok?"

Kanan grinned at the older Irish man, before sitting in a chair, slightly reclining so his son would be a little more comfortable.

"Yeah, he hasn't been sleeping well and when he does fall asleep I just let him," the man as Ezra shifted curling closer to his father.

"Poor kid, then I kind of feel bad about asking you if you could do something for me," Zeb said.

"What is it?"

"I need to go out of town for a week and I was hoping you would stand in as marshal?" Zeb asked.

"Now Zeb you know I still have chores to do around the house," Kanan said readjusting his grip.

"No problem, I already have a deputy to take over while you are out there but I need you to be the man in charge," Zeb said.

Kanan thought about it and then looked down as Ezra woke up from his small nap.