-Chapter 5-

I woke up the next morning stiff as a board to the alarm clock on my
phone telling me it was 7:30am and I had to wake Mariah up for school.
I throw the cover off of me and sit up. I straighten my hoodie and
take off my oxygen, I didn't want to wake my daughter up with my mouth
covered by a mask. I look at myself in my mirror hanging on my door to
make sure all the wires are covered. After I'm absolutely possitive everything looks normal, I walk out my bedroom. I find Veah still on my couch snuggling with the blanket I put on her lastnight and smile. Next I walk over to Mariah's room and slowly open the door. She too was cuddling with her covers. I stand beside her bed and I can't help but smile.
I may have been only thirteen but I thank that bastard everyday for what he did to me. If I would have got away I wouldn't have my baby girl. I know that's a messed up thing to be proud of...but it's the truth. I look at my phone 7:35am.
"Hey, sleepyhead" I say as I touch her nose. "Get up, babe."
"Ugh. I'm still tired..." she yawns as she sits up.
"I know, babe. Wake up a little then get dressed. I'll heat up some Pop-Tarts and if you hurry you can lay back down for a few minutes." I tell her as I kiss the top of her head.
After I know she's up I make my way to the kitchen and pull out a Cookies n Creme Pop-Tart and put it in the toaster.
While that cooks, I turn on my coffee pot.
By 8 o'clock my half asleep daughter comes walking into the kitchen and sits at the table and lays her head down.
"Awe momma's poor baby!" I tease as I wrap the end of one cornrow
around my finger. "You want some juice?"
The only response I get is a nod. "Grape?", another nod.
I walk over to the to the dishwasher and get her Justin Bieber cup, my
coffee cup and a plate. I put the Pop-Tarts on the plate and sit them in front of her as I get her juice. I sit with my baby while she eats. I can hear my phone vibrate in my room. I tell Mariah I'll be right back, and head to my room and grab my phone off the nightstand.

Me: Hello?
Benji: Hey Harley...sorry to bother you but I know you have to go to work soon...so I'm kinda parked outside. I wasn't sure if you were up.
Me: Its cool dude. My daughter is back in school. Since last week so
I'm up early. Um? Can you wait a bit? Til I put my daughter on the
bus? I really don't want her see me all Frankenstein like.
Benji: Sure, no problem. What time does her bus come?
Me: Uh? What time is it?
Benji: Um? 8:29.
Me: Alright, then...I gotta go get her to the bus stop. Her bus comes at 8:40.
Benji: Okay just hit me up when your done and I'll come up.
Me: Okay. Bye.
**Click**

I walk out my room and to the couch and tap Veah on the forehead.
"Wake up" I whisper.
"Ugh!" she turns over and puts the cover over her head.
"Bitch! Get your ass up. I have to take Mariah to the bus stop and Benji is outside to unhook this shit!" I whisper slightly louder and point to my pocket where the monitor is.
"Okay. I'm up. Give me a cigarette..." she mumbles.
"Get em yourself when you go piss, their on my nightstand. The lighters
inside." I tell her as I head back in to the kitchen.
"You ready?"
Nod.
"Awe. You can sleep on the way to school" I say as she hugs me. I grab her book bag form the front door and slide on Vee's black flip flops.
It's 8:35am when we leave the apartment, it's 8:43am by the time we
get to the bus stop infront of the apartment complex. Luckily the bus
it running a little behind. I look up and down the street and finally
see the bus turning the corner. I put Mariah's book bag on her and hug
her.
"Have a good day baby. And remember Auntie Vee will be home when you
get off the bus, okay? Mommy will be home at 6." I kneel down and look at her.
Response? Another nod. The bus finally pulls up to the curb and I wave goodbye as they drive off.

I get back to my apartment to see my best friend sitting on my couch with her head back, eyes closed and a lit cigarette in her hand.
I close the door and say "If the cigarette burns my leather? Your ass will pay!" and walk to my room for my phone. I call back the number Benji called me from.

Me: Hey, I'm back.
Benji: Alright. I'm headed up.

I head back into the living room and sit down. Removing my hoodie careful not to snag any wires. Afterwards I sit back and put the monitor on my
lap.
Knock, knock
"It's open!" I yell.
"Morning ladies." Benji says as he comes in, smiling like always.
Vee just waves.
"Morning..."
He comes and kneels beside me. "Which one you want to start with?" he
asks.
I lean my head back and shut my eyes. "Dude, take the arm piece off first that shit is killing me. Sorry for cussin' but dude it hurts more then usual."
He carefully takes my hand and turns my palm face up. I happen to look
down and my fucking arm is bleeding!
"Man what the fuck? My damn arm is bleeding!"
Vee finally opens her eyes and looks at my arm. "Dude, has it ever done that?"
I shake my head "Do you think I would be freaking out if this was a normal thing?" I put my head back again.
Benji goes in his bag and pulls out gauze and alcohol pads. "Its okay, Harley. But this might hurt a little or a lot"
I put my other hand over my eyes and hold my breath as he undo's the
metal piece that the wire plugs into.
"Ughhh! Holy fuck, hurry up! Ahh! Dude just pull it out! Taking it slow
is killing my arm!".
The pains getting so bad I can't feel my hand anymore. I feel Veah put her hand on my shoulder. I try to remember to breathe. But I'm bout one more slow pull away from punching Benji the fuck out! I can tell Vee knows I'm bout to snap cause she gets up and stands beside the end of the couch and holds my left hand down.
"It's almost out, Harls." she says to me.
After what felt like forever the pain is gone. My muscle is throbbing. I feel Ben wipe the alcohol pad across the wound and place a piece of gauze on it.
Vee finally let's go of me.
"Excuse my French but what the fuck was in her arm?"
I can tell by the sound of her voice that her hands are on her hips. I open my eyes and flex my arm.
"Its a camera, they place it in my arm to watch for clots and shit." I
say as I sit up.
"So what? They cut you open every night and stick that in your arm?" she
points to the bloody wire in a plastic bag.
"Something like that. Sometimes it's just a wire. Sometimes it's a camera" I answer before Benji could.
I'd rather have Veah's anger pointed towards me then him. He was just here to do his job not to be yelled at by a overprotective friend.
I look at Ben. "Did that shit fuck up my tatt?"
Naveah looks at me like I lost my mind. "Seriously? There's a gash in your arm and you're wondering if your tatt is okay?"
I look at her, dead serious I say "Fuck yeah! That's a portrait of my daughter! And my nickname is on the inside of my arm! That shit cost me a lot!"
Benji finally spoke up. "Nah, your tattoos are fine. There is gonna be a mark there for awhile, but it shouldn't scar or anything. It's hidden in the shadow in the background."
I nod and he goes to work on the rest of my wires. When his done I take the travel bag and place it in my nightstand drawer.

"Hey, Harley? Before I go I forgot to give you this last night...", he pulls out something small and hands it to me.
It's the shape of like a jellybean. I look at him slightly confused, "it's the new hearing aid Dr. Clark wants you to test out. Here, let me help you put it
in...There." he says as he helps me place it in my ear.
I don't notice anything different but he says it will take time. I walk him to the door and then to my room to get ready for work.