Chapter 25: No Need to Say Good-Bye.

Start from the beginning

Lucy stepped forward.

"The white rose, which symbolizes purity," she said, her voice shaking. "Miranda's purity of heart and of mind. It was because of this quality that those that tried to harm us were deceived in their own plans. I thank you for your purity, my good, dear friend."

She placed the white rose upon the grave.

Edmund stepped forward.

"A golden rose, which symbolizes friendship," he said, and Lucy recognized the Narnian king in his voice. "Miranda's friendship was always strong and good to all of us. Though I let her down, though I was a traitor, she saved my life and offered her friendship. For that Miranda, I am forever grateful."

He placed the golden rose beside Lucy's white rose and took a step back.

Peter stepped forward.

"The red rose, which symbolizes courage," Peter said, his voice soft, yet steady. "Miranda was named the courageous, and for good reason. She put her life on the line for mine. She put her body in between us and danger to keep us safe, without hesitation or reserve. We might have died many times had it not been for that. For your courage Miranda, I thank you."

He stepped back, and all three said in a strong voice;

"White, gold, and red. These three colors are those of Narnia. Miranda, the Courageous, First Warrior of Narnia; your death was not in vain. You did your duty well, and served us, our people, and our nation with all you had. You have filled your oath, so rest in peace."

All three stopped, and the ceremony was done. Edmund and Lucy went back with Eustace to Aunt Alberta's and Peter went with Professor Kirke. For two full months, they mourned for their friend, and though their hearts were heavy, their souls were light, for they knew where she was, and that she was happier than she could ever be.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I'll come back, when you call me,

No need to say good-bye.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

It was three weeks into the new school year that Edmund saw a change in Peter. He seemed to be drawing himself away from the rest of his family. And that was making two of them. Susan was now hardly ever seen by them anymore. She was always hanging around a group of girls or batting her eyelashes at Benjamin Stew. And most unfortunately, they had started making the schools mixed, which didn't help with the Susan problem. And then, when the weekends came, Peter would always hide away, and Susan would always leave on another date.

Edmund decided that enough was enough. On their fourth weekend break, he made up his mind to find Peter wherever he hid and talk to him.

It wasn't all that hard. The second their breakfast was over, Peter ran up the stairs and closed his bedroom door. Edmund gave him a few minutes, then went up the stairs to his brother's bedroom. He didn't bother to knock. He opened the door as slowly and quietly as he could.

His brother was sitting on the floor beside his bed, an open Bible in his lap. But it wasn't the Bible he was looking at. He was holding something in his hand, and his complete attention was on it. As Edmund peered closer, he saw that it was one of the things that Miranda had left Peter: her Narnian necklace.

Edmund quietly stepped in and softly closed the door. Peter didn't glance up.

"I miss her too you know."

Peter started at Edmund's voice. He looked up at him, and dark brown eyes stared into blue.

"It's different Ed."