Chapter 13: Forgiveness and Healing.

Forgiveness and Healing.

Lucy looked from her brother to the dwarf. They were sitting in a small room towards the middle of the Howe for privacy. A table had been placed in the middle of the room where a map was now sitting.

"That's your next big plan. Sending a little girl, into the darkest part of the woods, alone!" Trumpkin's voice rose in frustration.

"It's our only chance," Peter replied, his voice calm and controlled.

Lucy's eyes glanced over toward Trumpkin, who was still red in the face.

"And she won't be alone," Susan added beside Lucy.

Lucy let out a silent sigh of relief.

"Then I'm coming with you," Trumpkin pleaded, addressing her.

Lucy's heart went out to the dwarf that had already helped Narnia so much. She would have loved to have him come along, but she knew that it would not be necessary. He would be far more needed here than where she was going.

Softly, she put her hand on the dwarf's shoulder and said;

"No. You are needed here."

Lucy then looked over to the tense form of Miranda. She knew what the next few seconds would hold, and did the only thing she could do.

"As are you Miranda."

Miranda's head went down and her shoulders slumped in defeat. Lucy knew that what she had just asked her to do was one of the hardest things she would ever do. But there was no other way. Miranda needed to be here.

"You don't like making my job very easy; do you?" Miranda said as her head lifted up.

Lucy smiled knowingly at her friend and she sat down beside her.

"I never did make it very easy; did I?"

"Never!"

"Then for Aslan," the noble Reepicheep stated.

"For Aslan," the bulgy bear repeated.

Lucy then looked towards Peter, who had become silent.

"We need to stall the Telmarines long enough for them to get back," he said.

"If I may," Caspian's voiced from his seat nearer to the shadows. Peter nodded towards him, and Caspian stepped forward.

"Miraz may be a tyrant, and a murderer. But as the new king, he is subject to the ancient ways of our people. There is one in particular which may buy us some time."

"And that would be...." Edmund said.

"A challenge of single combat."

The room became suddenly still and silent. Almost as suddenly as it happened, the silence was stopped.

"No your highness!"

"Miranda, it might be our only hope," Peter replied, obviously knowing it was him she was speaking to.

"Yes, it might just be. What I am saying is that I do not want you to be the one doing it."

"How do you know that I will do it?"

"I know that look in your eyes Peter. I did not serve under you as a Warrior for fifteen years for nothing," Miranda said, her eyes flashing.

"Miranda, being the High King means that I am the one that has to send the challenge and fight the duel. That is just the way of things," Peter said in a tired voice.