Chapter 22: Months Pass On. Then Tragedy.

Months Pass On. Then Tragedy.

The holidays were soon over, and the Pevensies went back to school while Miranda went back to being taught by Professor Kirke.

January passed into February. Miranda was taken to the hospital once a week, then twice a month.

"I can't get over her recovery," Dr. Johnson told Lynn. "It's incredible."

February soon became March. And this is where we must stop, because early one March morning...

RING!!! RING!!!

Miranda bolted upright from her position on the couch and quickly picked up the phone beside her.

"Hullo," she said groggily, trying to shake her sleep off.

"Happy 31st Birthday!" a familiar voice shouted at the other end.

"Peter," Miranda groaned. "It's 4:30 in the morning."

"But you were ready, weren't you," Peter teased.

"Yes, but I wasn't expecting it until a little bit later."

"Yeah, well, that's what you get for expecting," Peter replied.

"Ha! Ha!" Miranda laughed sarcastically.

"See you later on today then."

"You may not want to see me, because then I might kill you."

"But you can't," Peter slyly replied. "That goes against your oath."

"I may forget my oath later on," Miranda replied, then hung up the phone. Sleepily, she got up and went back to her own room. Lying on the bed, she tried to think of how it felt like to be 31.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

If a 31 year old girl could describe how she felt celebrating her 16th, Miranda could not. Though she felt 31, her body was 16. What was odder was the fact that she was now celebrating her 16th birthday for the second time.

Thankfully, none of the adults seemed to notice Miranda's discomfort. They had gone into a small park that was little used, had a picnic (with birthday cake of course), and presents along the way. Her mother had given her a silver cross necklace, saying;

"Your father and I picked it out before he died. He wanted you to have it for your 16th birthday."

Miranda could feel the tears in her eyes.

Mr. Pevensie gave her an American helmet that he had found along the battlements.

"I just felt that you should have it," he said unsurely, glancing at Miranda's face. Miranda didn't speak, but instead threw her arms around his shoulders and started crying. Mr. Pevensie didn't move, but hugged her back.

Mrs. Pevensie gave her a set of personalized stationary, saying;

"You'll have to write us lots of letters when we go to America."

Of course, everyone then had to be told of how Mr. Pevensie had been asked to America and all the things that would be happening.

Soon after this, the Pevensie children and Miranda separated themselves from the adults. Edmund and Peter found some decent straight sticks, and both dualed with Miranda. Edmund ended up losing, and Peter ended up tying her. Then, all found a nice shady spot underneath a tree, and talked about the one thing they missed more than anything. There was lots of laughs as old jokes were remade and old stories retold.