Chapter 20: Mending.

Mending.

It was the happiest night that Miranda had had in a very long time. She sat on the small sofa with Edmund on one side and Lucy on the other. Peter and Susan took arm chairs that were close to the sofa, and it made a comfortable circle. They had turned the lamps down, so now the only light came from the blazing fire in front of them.

It seemed like they had been sitting and talking for hours (but it might have only been 45 minutes) before the question was asked. Miranda had known it was coming.

"Why didn't you ever tell us?"

Miranda turned to Lucy. Though they had not even been talking about it, everyone knew exactly what Lucy was talking about.

"Because in Narnia, I never though about it," Miranda answered, giving Lucy a sad smile. "It never bothered me there, and so, I never worried about it. After a while, I forgot about it."

"How could you forget something like that?" Susan questioned in a frustrated way.

Miranda didn't answer, but gave Susan a bright smile

"For what reason should she have to be reminded?" Edmund asked his sister. Susan had no answer for that.

They continued talking about Narnia for a good while until they heard footsteps in the hall.

"SSSHHH!" Susan quieted them.

The door was opened, and her mom and Mrs. Pevensie looked through the door.

"Miranda. Are you ready to go hon?"

"Whether I'm ready or not, I know we're going," Miranda answered. The Pevensies did not succeed in hiding their laughter.

Mom gave her a small smile, trying to hide her own laughter.

"Well then, come along."

"Yes mom."

With a short good-bye to the others, Miranda left the home of her Kings and Queens.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Swish. Bump.

Peter shot up when he heard the sound. Instinctively, he put his hand on his side, searching for his sword.

Knock. Knock.

With a knotted brow, Peter picked himself up and out of his bed, and opened his bedroom door.

Edmund stood there, his blue pajamas wrinkled and his hair all tussled up. Tears were streaming down his cheeks.

"Ed!" Peter exclaimed. "Are you alright?"

"Would you keep it down Pete?" Edmund snapped. Then, he said in a quite voice;

"May I come in?"

"Sure," Peter answered, becoming more puzzled by the second. He stepped back to let his brother through, then quickly closed the door. The two brothers jumped onto Peter's bed, and huddled closer together with covers around them.

"Now," Peter began, "What is it?"

Edmund didn't answer for a few minutes. Peter didn't push it.

Finally, a broken sob erupted from Edmund as he began to explain.

"She looked awful Peter!"

Peter was surprised. It wasn't like Edmund to get upset about something like this.

"Edmund..."

"No Peter! Listen to me!"

Peter shut his open mouth.