Chapter 24: They are Always Fulfilled.

Start from the beginning

Peter still felt slightly hurt that she hadn't told him, but he saw her point and why she had done it. He nodded his head and took a chair by her bedside. She reached down her hand and he took it. They stayed that way for many moments.

Finally, Miranda said;

"Do you remember the first time we met?"

"I wouldn't say that it was exactly meeting, but I do remember the first words you said to me," Peter replied. "It was your oath, taking on the duties as the Warrior of Narnia."

Miranda laughed.

"I thought that I was really getting in over my head when that happened," Miranda said.

"Well so did I when I became king of Narnia," he replied.

"Do you see that box over there?" she asked, pointing to a chair beside the door. Peter nodded.

"That box is for all of you. Everything is labeled so that you won't get confused over who gets what."

"Let's not talk about that right now," Peter said.

"I have to talk about it now Peter," Miranda said urgently, giving a little cry. Her heart had skipped again. "It's now or never."

Peter didn't reply.

"I don't think that I'll make it to see Lucy and Edmund again. Tell Edmund that he was the wisest king and the greatest friend I could have asked for, and tell Lucy that it was her valiance that made me courageous."

Peter nodded.

"And tell your parents that they meant so much to me and my mother. Tell them that they were there for us when no one else could, and that we were forever grateful for that."

"I will."

"And Peter," Miranda said, gripping his hand tighter, "Promise me that you'll never give up on Susan."

"What?" Peter said confused.

"Please Peter, promise me. She is straying. She is leaving her memories of Narnia. She must not go down that path. Please Peter, never give up on her."

"I won't Miranda. I promise."

Miranda then lay back and closed her eyes, wincing as the monitor went silent for a moment.

"I've been having a good deal of nightmares the past year," Miranda said after her silence.

"What are they?"

"It's always me against the White Witch. Every time I see her, she taunts me, telling me that I am useless here and cannot protect my rulers from her grasp." She paused for a second, then continued. "Every time I dreamt it, she got closer and closer to killing me. About an hour ago, I dreamed again. She was attacking Susan. That's when I had the doctor call you. I was going to tell you about that, when this started," she finished, pointing at herself.

"Why do you think it has happened now?" Peter asked, pointing to her monitor.

"Well, for one, Aslan told me that I only had one more year. He told me shortly before we left Narnia. He said it was a gift for me."

"Meaning," Peter realized," That you shouldn't have even lived this long."

"That's right Pete."

"But, you think it might be more?"

Miranda nodded.

"Remember what Edmund and Lucy told us about Caspian and Ramandu's daughter?"

"Yes."