23: Was It Something I Said?

ROBIN:

The house was eerily quiet as I shuffled out of my room yesterday, trying to not wake everyone up. I looked both ways down the corridor, and once making sure no one was there, tentatively opened the door and wheeled my suitcase out, checking the zips hadn't exploded. I had bought and was given a lot more stuff than I had arrived with, and it had taken a lot of anger and energy to close it. I closed the door behind me and tiptoed down the  stairs, my rucksack slung on my shoulders, my camera bag in one hand and my suitcase in the other. The sun was only kissing the water of the sea and the only sound outside was the birds tweeting.

The bottom floor was littered with snoozing people, some with spit escaping from their mouths and some snoring loudly, but everyone looked knocked out for the count. Thee was no sign of Joe. Good. Right now he was the last person that I wanted to see. I dipped into the fridge and pulled out some snacks, finding a pen and notepad next to the fridge I quickly scribbled a message:

To all my friends,

I've flown back to London. Don't be worried, I'll be fine, but I need to get back to my normal life. I have enjoyed the past week here and I honestly will cherish it for the rest of my life, but right now I have bills to pay and a dream I have to continue working towards. Caspar, I've left some money in my room for your mum as a thank you. I'll contact you when I get home and I'll see you all in a few weeks.

lots of love,

Robin xxx

Satisfied, I left the note on the fridge and took one last look at the house. I spotted Alana sprawled on the sofa, her legs not visible by Oli's head, his face resting in her knee. Caspar and Josh weren't there, so I guessed they were with Joe. Once I was in the hallway, I slipped on my shoes and, after checking that I had my passport and Ticket in my pocket for the 6th time, unlocked the door with a soft click.

"Robin?"

The fact that his voice was croaky from sleeping didn't help the situation either. I didn't want to see him, I couldn't. Right now, in my eyes all I can see is a dickhead, someone who tore out my heart and smashed it with his causal words and his stupid hair. I had to see him stand there. Wearing a pair of shorts and a big baggy jumper, he looked like his nine year old self, confused and innocent. It was more than I could bare.

"Where're you going Robin?" He asked again, eyeing my suitcases and my travel clothes. I sighed and dropped my suitcase lightly, before crossing my arms and trying to not show any emotion on my face.

"I'm going home."

"What? Why?"

"I've got stuff to do back in London Joe," I sighed " Unlike you, I've still got to finish my education."

"But you don't need to go back for four days yet," Joe pleaded "So please tell me why you're going home NOW?"

Because you rejected me without knowing and smashed my heart into a thousand pieces and now I can't stand the sight of you because I want to punch you yet hug you at the same time.

"I've got to get my life back on track. I've nearly lost my job, I'm behind on most of My A levels and I have at least three days worth of editing of photography" I babbled, pulling at my case and and trying to open the door, but Joe walked over and pushed the door to, his eyes wide with sadness and a slight flash of anger. I had never seen Joe properly angry, and it made me slightly scared yet proud that I could stir up his emotions like that. Now he'll know how I feel.