Pierre's

^ photo Helen's showing around

***

2 weeks prior

***

We just broke through the blanket of clouds and I almost faceplanted the oval little window trying to get a better view of the sun rays hitting the soft clouds, making them all shades of pink and orange.

I would normally be able to appreciate the colorful view, but my lungs were fighting for air as I held my breath, my eyes watering slightly at the strain.

Let me explain.

I already coughed twice, so I am now suffocating in my seat, besides a nice old lady and her daughter-in-law which were happily gossiping about some Uncle Freddy and his secretary's potential love affair, unaware of my awkward crisis.

The struggles of the socially awkward.

After a few more seconds of holding my breath, I broke into a coughing fit, startling the two ladies to my right, calmed down, then avoided eye contact for the rest of the flight.

***

Roughly 3 hours later, I am now in a cab, heading towards some of the cheapest places I could book online: a single room with a small terrace, private bathroom, a little desk and, of course,free Wi-Fi.

It was a very good deal for the 25€ they asked a night, compared to the other accommodation options in the area. A little too good , but I'm prepared for the worst. Honestly, I smelt something fishy when I first booked the place, but I was in too much of a hurry to give it much thought.

Dante's men that stood behind to guard me or whatever did everything in their power to keep me from leaving the country,but I happened to make a diversion and kept them busy for a few hours, giving me little time to think things over.

As soon as the taxi driver stopped,I paid the man ,the exited the vehicle, looking for the pension I was supposed to stay in.

After a few confused spins, I decided to ask for directions from a middle-aged man walking by.

"Excuse me! Could you point out 'Signorina Felli' for me?" I asked, looking in the man's eyes.

He stopped and started speaking full on rapid Italian, making me quickly get lost in the words. I may know some similar languages, but this is way too much to translate intuitively.

I moved my palms up and down slowly, trying to get him to slow down, then he finally noticed that I didn't get a words from all he has just said, then warped one hand around my shoulders, put his head next to mine and pointed up the hill, towards a yellow painted house.

I felt slightly awkward at our proximity, but didn't say anything and thanked the man, waving slightly behind me.

"Signorina!" I heard from behind and stopped, turning in instinct. The man stood there, looked up the hill, then wearily smiled towards me,nodding once. "Stai attento."

I slowly nodded, suddenly on guard, then smiled shyly, continuing up the hill,now with great hesitation.

Is Signorina Felli such an infamous place?

***

Where do I start?

After I checked in, got a few strange looks and left my things in the room, I went out in search of the Mafia boss, but I don't know where to start.

I couldn't just ask around for Dante Damiano, the Don of the Damiano family,couldn't I?

***

"Excuse me, have you ever seen this man? His name is Dante."