Chapter 6 - Gossips

Start from the beginning

I should walk away but for some reason, I can't. "I'm sorry," he repeats. I lost track of time."

"I lost track of time," she mocks him. "That's all what you say lately, but it looks like you don't care anymore, Niall. What's happening to you?"

"Zoe, this is not the time," he tells her in an urgent tone and motions in my direction. Only then she realises I'm standing there, too. For a second she looks surprised and ashamed, but she pulls herself together immediately.

"I'm sorry," she tells me in a cold tone of voice. Then she locks her eyes on Niall again and her pissed expression is back. "I'll go to take a stroll now. I'll see you at dinner," she tells him and storms out before giving me a forced smile.

I'm still standing there and I keep staring at her, until I hear Niall sigh. "I'm sorry for her," he tells me and only then I turn to see him. "She's just under a lot of pressure and things have been really complicated lately," he adds and I feel uncomfortable. I didn't ask for explanation, why does he feel he has to tell me these things? "She is normally really nice and sweet."

"It's fine," I tell him because it is. She didn't act any different from any other celebrity in this centre. In fact, she even tried. I can give her points for that. I don't like her, as much as I don't like any other celebrity in this centre, but I don't think she's worse than the others.

"I still apologise," he repeats and he looks really conflicted.

"It's fine," I repeat trying to smile to put him at ease. "Now if you excuse me, I have work to do," I add next and he nods vigorously.

"Oh right, I'm sorry. I won't distract you anymore. See you around, Ella," he tells me and I smile politely.

I finally resume my way to the ballroom not thinking of the scene I've witnessed between Niall and his girlfriend. Jenny better not find out about this or she'll believe she has a chance with him. If she does, God help Niall.

+ + + + +

"Ella!!" I hear someone screaming my name and I cringe because I recognise that voice immediately and, as usual, I look everywhere, hoping to find a place to run before they get here. But once more, I'm too late, they arrive to the ballroom before I can throw myself out of the window.

"There you are," Kimmy says, walking next to Jenny. They are identical twins and they love that, they love to be together so people can get impressed due to how similar they are. "We've been looking for you."

I groan and they ignore that. "We need you," Jenny adds and I look at the window and see Charlie moving furniture for the ball, laughing at me. Ladies and gentlemen, that's my best friend.

"I'm kinda busy here, in case you haven't noticed," I tell them and they roll their eyes. Rhonda really loves the red tablecloths so I had to change them all... and there are plenty of tables. I'm still busy.

"The ball is in two days and we need to pick the dress, so you have to come with us. You may dress horridly, but you never lie to us and you're good at fixing things," she tells me and I sigh deeply.

I like fashion, but they are obsessed. And even if I really dislike my stepsisters, I would never allow someone to go dressed as a clown so I actually help them. And it's true I'm good at fixing things and with a needle and thread; however I'm not near as good as Olivia.

"But Rhonda will get mad if I don't finish here," I tell them and they roll their eyes at the same time.

"Lies, she told you to help us in anything we need, as usual. So leave that and come with us, now!" Kimmy demands and I sigh deeply, knowing that I have no choice.

They know they win so they squeal and each takes one of my arms and drag me out of the ballroom. I take one last glimpse at Charlie and I see him still chuckling. "Save me," I mouth but he only laughs at my misery. One day I'll get him back. It's not amusing, it's torture. I'll be trapped for hours as they keep trying and trying on dresses.

"We bought so many dresses that we can't pick," Jenny tells me and I whine, a soft sob escaping my lips as I drown in my own misery. Why me? "Plus, I've hear that Niall and his girlfriend have been seen fighting. This is my chance! I have to be the most gorgeous girl at that ball," she carries on and I feel so sorry for Niall. Jenny will be all over him that night. I hope he wears a great mask so no one will recognise him.

"Is it true, Ella?" Kimmy asks me as they keep leading me to their rooms. They are not together, but they are connected so for situations like this one, they open the doors between both humongous rooms.

"What?" I ask and they both stop to look at me with a pissed expression. "Oh, you mean the fights. Well, uh... I guess. I saw them arguing today, but nothing big. Just like any other couple because he was late." I feel awful for saying these things, I hate prying on other lives and spreading gossips, but if I don't tell them, Rhonda will have my head for not helping them. "By the way, how did you find out about this?"

"You're not the only spy," Jenny says with a satisfied grin. That word sickens me, we're just employees of a retreat centre, not their spies so they can find out about all the gossips of their celebrity crushes.

"We have ears and eyes everywhere, just in case you decide to play dumb and ignore what's happening," Kimmy adds and I hate that they do that. They actually finish each other's sentences.

I wonder how they will manage to communicate when they are not together? They are worse than these sticky couples you see in bad cheesy movies.

We finally arrive to their rooms and when I take notice of the mountain of dresses on top of the bed I feel like fainting. I'll be here for hours... I don't think I'll have dinner. Oh, this sucks so badly.

Kimmy pushes me forward as Jenny runs to the bed to start grabbing dresses. I sit on the floor with my legs crossed as the torture starts. I breathe deeply because I'll need patience for this.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm trapped inside that room for five hours until they finally pick one dress each. I help them with the accessories until they are satisfied with their choice. By when were finally done, it's so late I'm knackered and I just wanna die in my bed. I missed dinner, of course, so I don't even try to bribe Mary to give me some leftovers.

On my way to my room in the wing where all the employees stay -yes, there's no special treatment for me, that has been my room since Dad died- I run into Charlie. For two seconds I debate whether to kill him or just to faint in his arms.

"How was that? Too fun?" He asks me with an evil grin and I punch him in the chest, but I'm so tired I don't have the strength to hurt him.

"Shut up, you know it was awful. One day I'll make you go through that," I say and he wraps his arm around my shoulder and brings me closer.

"Think positive, it's your last year here. You'll never do this again after this summer," he tells me and his words actually bring a smile to my lips.

Charlie is right, this is my last summer in the complex, my last summer as the Drennan twins' maid. After this I will be gone and I won't come back, not even to take back what's mine for right. This retreat centre is lost gone and I rather leave than fight for it. I know that it was Dad's dream, but I don't wanna see Rhonda again and fighting over the centre would force me to see her at court. I rather not. I don't need this. I'll do some good outside, to people who really need me.

"You're right. Still, I hope you saved something for me. I'm starving!"

"I think I have half sandwich," he muses and I smack him again. "I think, I'm not sure."

"I hate you," I tell him and he laughs. "I really do."

"No you don't, now let's go. Of course I have something for you, I was waiting for you."

I smile, thankful with him. At least he had some mercy.

-:-:-:-

Dedication to my wife Katie @MyHeartsMistake, 'cos she was the best comment.

Bel, xx