Journey to the Unknown

In that same second, Professor McGonagall disappeared in a loud crack! The figure at the end of the street did not seem to hear. She must have cast a Muffliato charm, Harry thought wildly as he closed the door. At the sound, Hermione and Ron came running, wands ready.

"Who was it?" Hermione was terribly pale

"You have to go," said Harry briskly, marching past them. He felt Hermione reach for his hand to pull him back and his heart jumped.

"What's happening?" Harry could see the terror clearly illustrated in her wide brown eyes. He squeezed her hand, hoping it might be of a comfort to her.

"McGonagall thinks there's someone watching us," he explained. Hermione's eyes widened in panic, and her teeth began to nibble her bottom lip. "Just as a precaution, we're gonna have to split up," Harry found his voice. "Go back to the Burrow and make sure everyone's okay. Hermione, go and pack some provisions; food and stuff. I'll meet you as soon as I can."

Ron reached out and patted Harry's back.

"Be safe, mate," he answered quietly, and pulled Hermione's hand away from Harry's. "We gotta go, Hermione." They stepped back away from Harry, hands clasped.

Be safe, Hermione mouthed, and Harry caught a glimpse of what looked like tears in her eyes before they turned and disapparated with a crack!

Harry ran from the room, and up the stairs two at a time. His bedroom door was open, where he had pushed it to get the letter. His rucksack was still on his bed. Harry closed it quickly, squashing the letter tightly in a space between his travelling cloak and a Daily Prophet from the previous day. Harry hefted the heavy rucksack onto his back, grunting with the effort and flung the Invisibility cloak over himself. The cloak hovered midway down his shins with the bulky rucksack on, but it was still relatively dark outside anyway.

Harry stole down the stairs, waving his wand to clear the tea cups and pots from earlier, and negoatiated his way through the shadowy kitchen. In the gold tinged shadows of the garden, he saw a tabby cat sitting statue still on the hedge as promised.

Wand ready, Harry slipped through the back door. The air was settled and cool outside and the cat turned its head slightly, before leaping into the air and materializing into Professor McGonagall inches from Harry.

"Take the cloak off, Potter," she hissed, "You are safe here." Reluctantly, Harry pulled the shiny material from around him and stuffed it into his rucksack. He felt so much more secure with it on. "Do you have the letter?" Harry nodded. "Then take my hand, Potter." McGonagall proffered her hand, her eyes ordering. Harry took the hand and was instantly enclosed in an iron grip. "Ready? 1,2..."

Harry felt the familiar jerking behind his navel as he twisted. He mashed his eyes shut until his feet slammed into hard dry earth. He pried his eyes open to find Professor McGonagall already walking away, her black cloak billowing in the warm, dry wind.

"P-professor...?" Harry stumbled to his feet, resisting the urge to retch. "Professor, where are we?" He ran to catch up with McGonagall who was walking very fast, her eyes gleaming with urgency behind her specs.

"All in good time Potter," she answered in even tones, in a voice that Harry could clearly hear was undertoned with, Be quiet, Potter, before you get us killed.

Then Harry realized.

"Professor, why are we going to Snape's house?"