Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The rest of the day went by in a blur. The bell had just rung dismissing us from our 7th periods. Finally off period! Yay *mental happy dance*

As I walked out of the classroom, I bumped into a hard chest. I looked up to see a smirking Carter.

"Watch where you're going Melody." He said adding an unneeded emphasis on my name.

I rolled my eyes sarcastically, and walked around him smiling. "How did you get here so fast?"

"We finished our assignment early, so I walked out a few minutes before the bell rang." he said shrugging.

"Are we allowed to do that?" I asked thinking about all the times I had finished my work early and had to sit in class doing absolutely nothing.

"No."

I laughed at his smug response. "Do you not care if you get in trouble?"

"Unlike you Melody," he said looking down at me as we walked towards the school parking lot. "I am a badass who doesn't care what a teacher thinks."

"Wow okay, coming from a guy who had under the teachers comments 'Excellent behavior'." I recalled from him bragging about it to me at lunch. Makes no sense as to how he refers to himself as a 'badass' but whatever.

He chuckled before poking my side. "What are you stalking me now Miss DeLuna?" he said wriggling his eyebrows.

"Pshhh as if. You WISH I was stalking you."

"That I do."

"Creeper."

We both burst out into fits of laughter.

"So are we going to hang out today?"

I looked up at him before responding, "I don't know. It's up to you I guess."

We reached my car and I unlocked the door putting my book bag in the back seat. I looked up at Carter expectantly waiting for his response.

"Well I mean I want to hang out, but I don't want to force you or anything."

When he said that he looked so adorable I couldn't help but blush.

"Sure lets hang out."

"Okay, I get to choose what we do though."

"Should I be worried?" I said backing away a little bit.

He laughed before grabbing my arm. "Come on, make sure you lock your door."

-

"Seriously Carter," I said looking at him on top of an old treehouse standing on the little balcony it had, in his backyard. "I'm not going up there." He decided we would be hanging out at his house causing me to leave my beloved car at the school all alone. If anything happened to it, I got to punch him.

"Why not?"

I looked at the grass nervously while holding onto my right arm with my left hand. I couldn't bring myself to say it.

"Melody," I looked up at him and he actually looked sincere. "are you afraid of heights?" Then that jerk started laughing.

I scowled at him and crossed my arms before looking away. "No." I stated firmly. "I'm not." Lie. "It just doesn't look safe is all."

"Oh come on!"

"What?"

"It's not like you're gonna fall. Just climb up I promise you won't get hurt."

"And if I do?" I retorted.

"Then I will...." he stopped a moment thinking about it. "I don't know just please come up, I want to show you something."

I sighed before slowly making my way towards the ladder. I imagined all of the possible bad things that could happen to me if I made one wrong move. I looked up at Carter who was staring at me with a smirk and daring eyes. I rolled my eyes, and gathered as much courage as I could. I was not about to let him tease me about this.

I slowly and carefully made my way up, all while thinking about how much I wanted to prove him wrong.

Finally, the top! Thank goodness I didn't fall. I made the mistake of turning around to look down. I had a mini heart attack. Gosh I hate this!

"Why do you have your eyes closed?"

I hadn't realized I had closed my eyes after my little scare from looking down.

"Just you know," I thought about it for a second. "taking in the nice breeze."

He cocked one of his eyebrows up before laughing. "Melody, there is no breeze right now. It's actually kind of humid."

"Shut up." I muttered hopelessly.

He laughed for another minute before finally composing himself. "Come on." he said before turning around and slouching down a bit to go through the little doorway.

"I hope you hit your head." I muttered quietly.

"What was that?" He said from inside.

"Nothing." I smiled evilly.

I made my way into the little doorway not having to slouch as much as Carter did.

It took me a second to let my eyes adjust to the inside.

"Wow." I said quietly.

"I know."

"Did you write all of this?" I asked while looking at the wall full of sheet music. Each one had a title and lyrics written on them.