And he had returned

Start from the beginning

Of-course he would never tell what happened that night, that was not the gentlemanly thing to do. The notorious Earl and the scoundrel, who could bring a woman to her knees with a look, and had the luck of the devil himself at the turn of a card. The stories still echoed through thriving ballrooms and smoky clubs to this day.

And he had returned.

He greeted his hostess, spoke half-heartedly to half of London, settling down the excitement, rumours and questions of his return, at least those brave enough to dare ask. He had spent his evening evading those mamas and kept to quietly being his sisters keeper, only letting a few have the chance to dance with her, midnight slowly crept ever closer, he decided he'd done more than his bit in re-introducing himself into society for one night and was ready to retire to his club, when she caught his eye.

How had he not noticed her before now, She stood completely still amongst the bustling room, a calm within the storm. She wore pale green and gold which brought out the red hue in her dark hair and the emerald green in her eyes which were alight with laughter and happiness as she stood smiling up, those eyes fixed above the entire room, suddenly the call of a heavy drink at Whites was forgotten.

Following her transfixed gaze he found himself admiring the impressive chandeliers that he'd not noticed before. He felt a smile pull at the corner of his lips.

Her rosy heart shaped mouth curved into a dazzling smile rather than the beautiful pout it was in when she was regarding the ceilings, her lips parted just slightly. This smile although beautiful, looked nothing like the happiness he'd seen on her face a moment ago, a little forced if anything.

Then it all changed, in a split second her eyes grew cold and the light left them. A sharp intake as if the breath had gone from inside her, he watched as those rosy lips flattened into a worried line and her pink cheeks were draining before his eyes. She looked...terrified.

He followed where her gaze met what must be the object of her displeasure. A Mr Thomas Winters. They had both been at Oxford many years ago. They'd Spent nights together drinking brandy and playing cards.

But Thomas had changed over the years, Blake had heard the rumours, he'd been in trouble, unable to pay the growing gambling debts and had even managed a failed engagement. All in the time Blake had been attending to his estates and sorting business in the country.

Thomas never had been one for hard work, Blake gave up his bachelor lifestyle once he lost his father to become the new Earl of Arrington. Thomas however never cared to take his role as a Baron so seriously, that is no doubt why he now owes a rather large sum of money, and has crumbling estates around him. They were very different people now. His father had passed a few months before his own and together they inherited their titles and their duties.

It didn't take him long to see beneath the surface with Thomas, something sinister was growing there, and he had made the decision to distanced himself from him.

Then he himself had left London and everything in it behind him, decided to take a more hands on approach to his work. It was all he could do to keep busy after losing his father and a she devil broke his heart.

It had been time to take his role as an Earl seriously. And now, well now he must introduce himself back into society after all these years to find a wife and produce an heir, or so he should.

He could see the wetness forming on her eyes. And before he knew it he was moving toward her. What would he say to this intriguingly beautiful, sad woman? He'd never had the pleasure of an introduction. She stood stiffly from the row of chairs where she was seated, her spine straight and her shoulders rigid, her eyes were wide with..fear?