A&E

Having two days away in Surrey ended up being a welcome break from what had become a horrendous beginning of the week. Laura had taken a contract as a consultant for a local radio company long before her current job had come up. It gave her something to put her mind to, got her out of London and stopped her thinking of Ricky. Ha! If only.

She'd sent a couple of text messages asking him to call her and that he'd misunderstood the situation. Chris had called her a couple of times. He still hadn't got to talk to Ricky as yet. He had left a message to say that obviously what was in the paper was absolute bullocks and he should know better. Taking the rough approach hadn't seemed to work any better than the smooth. Chris said Ricky would probably appear in the office at the end of the week, so he'd speak to him then. And he had been right.

It was just after 11 o'clock on Thursday. Chris and his team had just finished recording their podcast and Laura was in the office, preparing for Sunday's show. She wasn't looking forward to it. How could she sit opposite a man, giving him guidance and instruction when he'd refused to speak to her all week? She had been sat at a desk when she'd seen him come through the double doors in to the office. She looked down straight away, for once not wanting to catch his eye. What was she going to say? For the last three days she'd thought of nothing else and now the moment had come, she'd frozen. She looked quickly out of the corner of her eye. Laura could see Chris heading towards Ricky. She couldn't hear what was said, but when Chris put his hand on to Ricky's arm he was quick to shake it off. Ricky stepped backwards. Chris was putting both his arms out. Their discussion had got the attention of those around them. Laura was looking straight at them now, but she knew to stay where she was. There wasn't anything she could say that Chris couldn't. Then all of a sudden Chris, then Ricky looked her way. Laura quickly averted her gaze to her computer, then realising that was the reaction of a guilty woman, she turned back, looking Ricky in the eye as she did. He maintained contact for a few seconds. His eyes said nothing. There was no sparkle as there had been before. Eventually he turned back to Chris, shrugged and said something, before looking her way once again and walking towards the doors again. A wave of anger washed over Laura. He can't have listened to Chris. Well he'd have to listen to her. Pushing her chair back from the desk she walked in long strides across the office and pulled open one of the doors. Ricky had just turned to the next flight of stairs.

"I want to talk to you!" she shouted down the stairs. Whether he heard her or not, Laura wouldn't know for a while, but as she rushed to the first step, she slipped. As Ricky was leaving the building, heading in to the crowds of noisy tourists outside queueing to buy theatre tickets at the half price ticket booth, Laura fell.

The feeling of falling forwards and putting her arms out to stop herself, engulfed Laura. But her arms fell into nothingness, only coming to a stop as she landed, moments later at the bottom of the flight of stairs.

Laura was aware of a commotion around her. Voices seemed mumbled at first, as though she was under water. People were talking at her. Blinking, she looked up. She could make out faces she recognised. Pippa was looking over her, close to her face. Laura closed her eyes again. Then she heard the word ambulance. She tried to open her eyes again, but the effort was too much.

Ricky had gone over to a coffee shop. He'd bought a coffee and sat in a window seat with it watching the world go by. The words Chris had said whirled around in his head. He knew there had been problems with transport and it was just like Chris to not be bothered about the cost and get a hotel room. But those photos. The look on their faces as they'd stood outside the underground station. And why hadn't Laura said anything last Sunday. She'd had every opportunity. He suddenly became aware of flashing blue lights entering the square. He sipped his coffee. An ambulance seemed to be pulling up outside the radio station. He starred, not really taking it in. He was thinking about Chris. Maybe he'd been an idiot. He should have listened to Chris and Laura, hear their side. There had been something in the way Chris had spoken to him. He'd been a prick. He hardly knew Laura, but he'd seen how she'd reacted to the man who had cheated on her. Was she really going to do the same to someone she'd just met? No, he had to go back to the office and speak to her.

The Producer - Ricky Wilson Fan Fiction On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara