DRUIDS-BANE 'Escape'

Start from the beginning

When they returned they found the grounds inside and out of the Druid's Circle to be a disturbed ant hill of men and horses. After the five boys had left the meeting the Clan Leaders and Tribal Chiefs had stood their ground against the High King and High Druid Priest of Meath and demanded the burial grounds be searched the next day. All of them had brought many of their finest warriors and their most senior Druid Priests and were ready to begin the search now. Too many people throughout the Kingdom had been lost and they did not want to lose one more. Plus there was an argument to be made that the longer they waited the more time the evil had to discover their plans. This could give it the time to make plans against them or flee the land. If the evil fled they may never know what happened to their loved ones that had gone missing. The leaders and chiefs and most of the warriors of Meath were reluctant to enter the burial grounds of their ancient ancestors. But they were more afraid that the evil that had been terrorizing the land would be given a chance to escape.

The High King and the High Druid Priest had agreed and even promised a reward in gold to the warrior band that found and destroyed the evil. They would stay up late into the night making plans for the invasion of the sacred land of barrows, cairns and dolmens. Many things had to be considered so as not to anger the dead, the Fae Folk and the Gods.

Arthfael went and located his father who was consulting with the High King. He tried one more time to use the spell of compulsion on these men. He hoped that the strength he had gained from the last sacrifice gave him power enough to put them under his power. He was once again angered and annoyed as he found they were still immune, their minds were just too strict, structured and powerful. He wondered if he could ever do enough sacrifices to control them. Watching all of the activity happening around the Druid's Circle had given Arthfael an idea but he needed his father's approval to make it happen.

He made his father notice him and asked, "Father, mine friends and I would join thine search party. I beseech thee father let us to help find this evil."

The High Druid Priest of Meath looked to the High King and then to his son and said, "Thy studies are important Arthfael and not to be'eth ignored. I feel this wilt be a dangerous task. I want'eth thee to stay'eth with thy sister and thy mother and continue thine studies. Methinks we has't enough men for thy search."

Arthfael was taken back a moment when his father mentioned his sister. He had already forgotten about her sacrifice. But a plan was forming in his mind and he needed his father's blessing to go on the search or it would not work.

"I beg of thee father," Arthfael said. "It is because of mine dear sister and mine dear mother I would be a part of this search. Mine wish is to find'eth this evil so that they wilt be safe. Send'eth us with a band of guards if't be true of thine fear for our safety."

The High King Criofan interjected at this point, "Let the boys go, fusty friend Matha, the more eyes the better chance of finding this evil. They may'eth search with one of mine most trusted guards, Sergeant Cadeyrn, and his band. I deem they wilt be safest with these men for they be fine warriors all. The nine wilt become fourteen and better the chance of finding this evil."

The High Druid Priest thought for a moment then said to Arthfael, "Verily well then, it shall be as the High King commands. Now, therefore swear unto me you and the other four young Ovates wilt stay'eth with Cadeyrn and his band of guards. I wilt be checking on thee to make'eth certain it is so. The search wilt begin at dawn on the morrow. Go with thine brethren and get what rest you may. Find Sergeant Cadeyrn and his band at the breaking of day."

Arthfael thanked his father and turned away to go but not before hearing his father speak to three Druid Priests that had been waiting for him. He overheard his father tell them to make sure Druid Bards traveled with the search parties. He wanted the tale of this hunt for evil to be remembered.