Chapter 16 - Memories

"All of my memories keep you near,

The silent whispers, the silent tears."

Memories, Within Temptation.

____________________________________________________________________________________

September 6th, 2009

Scottsdale, Arizona

"Leave me alone, Dean!" Beth grumbled as her brother threw yet another piece of candy at her. Her oldest brother winked at her in response. "Sam, tell him!"

"Dean, leave Beth alone," Sam said half-heartedly, glancing away from the wheel for a few seconds. "Beth, ignore him and just read your damn book—I'm busy, trying to drive."

Beth pouted dramatically before throwing the candy back at Dean, successfully hitting him in the face. She let out a triumphant shout and cackled loudly at Dean's disgruntled look—she was glad she had her seatbelt on or she would've fallen off her seat in her amusement.

"Why are you throwing those things at each other?" Castiel asked, confused. Beth tipped her head to the side and looked over at him.

"Because Dean's an ass and deserves it," she explained with a grin. Castiel turned and eyed Dean critically.

"He doesn't look like a donkey."

"I-I didn't mean that he was an actual donkey," Beth got out between giggles. "It's meant as an insult, Cas."

The angel looked rather put out at that as he let a quiet "Oh," slip from his lips.

"What an idiot," Dean snorted in amusement. Beth shot him a warning look and slapped his shoulder.

"Don't be an asshole, Dean," she scolded before undoing her seatbelt and shuffle over to sit beside Cas and pat him on the arm. "Ignore my brother—it's just his time of the month."

"Pay no attention to them, Cas," Sam told him with a smile. "They've been bickering like that for the past few days now. It's actually getting quite annoying."

"Yeah, well. What else can I do when I've been stuck in this car with you two for days and I'm not allowed to even go to the bathroom by myself whenever we stop, I mean, Dean always escorts me to the bathroom and waits outside until I'm done before practically shoving me back in the car," Beth countered with a scowl.

"Why is that?" Cas asked, sending her a surprisingly concerned look.

"They don't want to let me out of their sight after last time when Michael kidnapped me," she explained grumpily. "They seem to forget that I'm still a teenager and get bored easily... and that if I want to wander off on my own, then I will."

"I could take you out?" Castiel offered hesitantly, his deep blue eyes locking on her hazel ones.

"Really?" She grinned, her face lighting up at his offer. He nodded in confirmation and Beth let out a happy shout. "Yes! Can we go to the beach?"

"Yes, if you'd like."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea—" Dean started and Beth was quick to silence him with a glare.

"Yes, it is. If I have to spend five more minutes locked up in this car with you, I might actually rethink my policy on not killing you," she said firmly as she met his gaze. "Besides, if it makes you feel any better, you two can come to the beach as well."