Chapter 13 - Free To Be You and Me

Late July, 2009

Windom, Minnesota

Beth was at a complete loss. Castiel had returned to the motel not long after she had two days ago, and she had been confused as to why he had come back so early after saying only five minutes prior that he was going to look for his Father and he didn't know how long it would take. When she had asked him about it, he told her that he'd been gone for more than 3 hours.

And that was why Beth was confused, she couldn't remember anything that had happened from after Cas had carved the sigils into her ribs to when he returned to their motel room. He was just as confused and concerned as she was, even if he was better at hiding it than she was.

She was now on her way to meet up with Dean again for the first time since he and Sam had split up and gone their separate ways. Her phone ringing startled her out of her thoughts and she quickly pulled over to the side of the road and fished her phone out of the pocket of her denim shorts.

"S'up?" she asked with a grin.

"How far are you?" Dean cut straight to the point and Beth rolled her eyes in amusement.

"About a day away, maybe less," she replied softly, knowing he was just stressed out from the whole 'splitting from Sam' thing and she should cut him some slack.

"I'll see you soon," Dean told her stiffly, sensing her pity. He then gave her the address of the motel he was staying at before hanging up quickly.

"Stubborn ass," she grumbled lightly, tossing her phone on the passenger seat before continuing on her journey to where her eldest brother was.

__________________________________________________________________________________

"You sure you're okay?" Beth asked again, shifting in her seat at a diner near Dean's motel. "Cause I can come and meet you...?"

"Beth, I'm 26 years old," Sam snorted in amusement. "I can take care of myself."

"I know, but... but this is stupid!" she whisper-shouted in frustration down the phone at him. "You and Dean are adults yet you both act like children-I'm younger than you and even I don't act like this. Why can't you just call and make up with him? I don't wanna be stuck in the middle of your feud!"

"Beth, it's not that easy-" Sam started, but she quickly cut him off.

"Yes it is!" she argued immediately. "Look, I don't know what went down between you two but I know that Dean's miserable without you... and so am I," she paused, letting her words sink in with him. "I want to get to know both of you and I-I can't do that if we're separated," she admitted quietly.

"Beth, I... I want that too-but I'm not ready to be around Dean again after the voice message and what happened in Colorado," Sam told her and Beth could practically hear the frown on his face.

"What voice message?" she asked, furrowing her brows in confusion.

"It doesn't matter," Sam said firmly. There was a muffled voice in the background and her brother spoke to the other person briefly before returning to his phone call with Beth. "Beth, listen, I gotta go."

Beth frowned and nodded once before remembering that he couldn't see her. "Yeah, okay... I would like to see you again soon though."

"I'll think about it."

"Promise?" she asked, a hint of warning in her voice.

"Beth, I promise I'll see you soon," Sam sighed in exasperation before hanging up. Beth frowned again as she locked her phone and set it on the table next to her. A waitress walked over seconds later with a coffee pot in her hands.