Part Twelve

The town lay before us, a sprawling sea side city complete with paved streets and a port full of wooden ships.

I didn't have long to admire it before we were making our way through the common mess of life by the sea.

***

A few minutes into the city, I had a jolting shock of realization. I could tell that the twins felt the same.

The people surrounding us and going about their daily business were not speaking Ravkan. They were speaking a dialect that sounded remotely similar to English, but not so close that I could actually make out what they were saying.

We weren't in Ravka anymore. And probably never were.

I didn't mention my discovery to anyone, and, eventually, we reached the docks.

The Grisha who had went on ahead of us were gathered on the docks in clusters before a ship called the Zimniyevolny. Winter of the Wolf.

An odd name for a ship if you asked me, and it was the only lick of Ravkan on this place.

We dismounted and walked, as unseen as any other citizen, through the crowd onto the docks.

When we reached the groups, the Darkling spoke to Ivan and Kristina in quiet tones before Ivan and him boarded the ship. Many of the Grisha followed them.

Kristina headed towards me, and I realized, the twins, who had been stood directly behind me, and trying not to draw attention to themselves.

Kristina's calm voice drifted to us before she did. "The Darkling wishes for you three to be on board the ship and secured."

Secured? What were we? Luggage?

I nodded to answer for all three of us.

Kristina nodded back before spinning on her heel. "Now if you would follow me." And then she was off, zooming through the crowd.

I went to take a step after her when both of my hands were seized by two slightly smaller ones.

I glanced down at them, before glancing back at the twins. Surprisingly, both of their eyes were filled with fear, and Marie seemed to have temporarily given up her hatred of me.

I squeezed their hands reassuringly before sending them a soft smile. "It's going to be alright." I promised softly.

Marie spoke up, her sharp tongue coming alive. "You can't know that! He could have all of us killed for all you know!" She whispered angrily.

I shook my head, a soft smile on my lips. "I promised." I said before I took off after Kristina, dragging both twins unwillingly behind me.

And never once did I release their hands. I held them all the way onto the ship, and even as we stood at the railing and headed out to sea and watched the city fade away into the horizon.

I held them until the Darkling forced us apart.

***

He was standing behind us with Ivan and Kristina flanking him on both sides.

Kristina and Ivan stepped forward, and, before I could stop them, ripped Ann and Marie right out of my hands.
I whirled around to face them, my body tense and ready to call my power to me in an instant.

But the Darkling beat me to it.

"If you so much as raise your hand, Ivan will end the trackers where they stand." His ever cool voice drifted to me.

My eyes narrowed as my hands clenched into fists.

"What do you want?" I asked harshly. What more did he need? I had already came with him willingly and on his terms.

His face remained neutral, his emotions hiding away behind his calm mask.

He stepped forward, away from the protection of Ivan, Kristina, and the girls. He stood right before me, his black kefta billowing like a stain on a crisp sheet. I hadn't know be had changed.

The Darkling held up a pair of iron handcuffs. "Let me place these on you, and no harm shall befall the trackers." He said it simply, as if he was talking about something as simple as tea.

I glanced to the twins in despair. Those cuffs would make me completely helpless. I would have no chance to defend myself.

But the girls needed me, and I had a choice to make.

"Alright." I said a little hoarsely as I held my wrists up to him.

The cold iron clamping over my skin was a feeling that haunted me as I was dragged below decks by a mammoth of a sailor that I had never seen the likes of before.

His slanted golden eyes were blank as he shoved me along. I knew he wasn't in the group of Grisha that brought me here. Maybe he wasn't Grisha at all?

I didn't have time to ponder this before I was thrown into a swaying room.

I was locked into a small cabin off by myself, a small window my only key to the outside world. I had absolutely no idea whether or not the twins were alright. Whether or not the Darkling had held up his end of the deal.

I guess I had found out what Kristina meant when she said she was to 'secure' us.

Author:S Note Ahead→
Mm...I wonder who that sailor was...
Wooh! It been a while!
Sorry about the wait, guys! With the end of school the beginning of summer, my life has been pretty hectic, but it's finally beginning to mellow out. :D
Thank you guys so much for reading! Hope you fellow Grisha fans enjoyed!
Also, I've been trying to think of a good outro sorta thing. You guys got any ideas??

Songs for this chapter are:

Bird by (I'm not really sure) It is the ending theme for Black Butler Two

(Hey, this is 2021 Iva checking in, Bird is by Yuya Matsushita.)

And Resonance by (I'm not sure either) The first opening of Soul Eater.

(And Resonance is by T.M. Revolution.)

(Whaa? I'm in an anime mood. :D)

Saints' Speed
-Anna

P.S. All Rights Reserved to original owners. :)