Chapter Two - Splitscreen Chemistry

Start from the beginning

A parking slot was allotted for them, as noted by the guard. Leysam had gotten their vehicle details the night before from Tonette, and left instructions with the guard to guide them accordingly. They were given a color-coded ID that helped determine what row in the gallery would they be seated. It turned out their seats were in the front row of the gallery, where they could easily be seen once the camera pans across the audience.

"Grabe naman harap na harap tayo," Maine complained uncomfortably. She now regretted wearing shorts, which hitched up her thighs everytime she sat down.

"Yaaaan, kasi di nagbihis ng maayos eh." Tonette smirked at her smugly.

"Eh kaysa naman sayo, parang date yung pupuntahan mo. "

"Malay mo after ng EB, yayain tayo magcoffee, diba?"

" Asa ka pa. Sino naman tayo para yayain magcoffee. Kaw talaga assumera ka."

"Gutom ka ba? Ang sungit mo naman friend. Smile naman oh, sayang ganda eh."

The show was about to start. They were briefed by one of the EB staff on the do's and don'ts during the show and while on commercial break. Throughout the briefing, Maine caught Alden taking a peek at the crowd. Their eyes met, he smiled at her and winked. Her heart raced as she smiled back, she felt her hands got clammy. Geez, what does she look like now? They never even went to the Ladies Room first to freshen up, she just didn't care earlier, thinking he wouldn't see her. But why should she be too concerned about him seeing her anyway? At any rate, it was too late to care now.

ALDEN

He always invited people to come over for the live show in Broadway but this is the first time he was nervous. A little nervousness before performing was normal for him really, the perfectionist in him thrived with the bit of insecurity his nervousness gave him, and egged him to perform better. But now, he was also excited to see her again.

He peeked through the movable wall panels to check if she and her friend did come to watch the show today. He gave specific instructions to Leysam to make sure that they would be seated in front, to make it easy for him to see her in the audience. And saw her, he did.

She looked fresh and calm in her striped top, the studio lighting enhancing her high cheekbones and the deep cleft on her chin. Her hair was in loose waves past her shoulders, curling softly on the edges, swaying as she moved her head to look around. Their gazes clashed when she caught him gazing at her, and she smiled in recognition, her full lips showing off her perfectly even set of teeth. He realized he was smiling at her foolishly, his heart skipping a beat. Winking at her, he disappeared from the panel to get ready for his number.

It was a summer dance opening number. The EB Babes and the Baes did their dance routines, while Alden waited backstage in a motorbike, dressed in khaki shorts and a summery polo over muscle shirt. As the backstage partition opened, he heard the screams of female fans filling the Broadway studio. For a few moments he forgot about Maine and concentrated on his number, teasing the female fans with his dance moves, making them scream louder, chanting his name.

The number was well-received, as expected. After the usual opening spiels, the show went on commercial break. Alden and the rest of the Dabarkads went to the audience gallery to have their photos taken with the fans. Trying to look cool and unruffled, he approached Maine and Tonette, who were chatting with Allan K.

"Hi Maine....Tonette," He mentioned Tonette like an afterthought. "Nice of you to come over. Having fun?"

"Thanks for inviting us," Maine said formally.

Wow, why is she so stiff, Alden wondered. Yet, she seemed to be enjoying Allan's conversation with Tonette, when he saw them as he approached.

"Miss A, di mo naitatanong, itong friend kong si Maine, celebrity din yan," Tonette said airily.