The End

You broke my heart. But I still love you with all the broken pieces.
-Anonymous

    I saw Zubin gulp and take forced steps toward the center of the circle where I stood timidly. Mr. Aveyard handed him a knife, which Zubin clenched in his hand. I could hear the clicking of Zubin's shoes against the floor, gradually becoming louder. I lifted my head to feel his breath crawl on my skin.
"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" he said softly, poised in front of me. Zubin's voice trembled as he looked at the ground, a knife in his right hand, ready to strike. The eyes of my past neighbors and acquaintances stared at me. The boat slowly rocked from side to side.
He couldn't do this to me. Not after everything I had been through to find him. He was supposed to be my friend, not the one that killed me.
"No, you failed to mention that between the time you met me and today." I replied coldly. I wasn't in the mood to relish in happiness at the fact that I found him. He had his chance to tell me that Aveyard only wanted my boat. Yet I still felt a stinging pain at the harshness of my voice towards Zubin.
"I-I-I didn't want your boat, I wanted you," Zubin croaked. His throat closed up before he could say anything else.
"Get it over with, boy!" Mr. Aveyard yelled from the crowd. A couple crew members grunted in agreement.
Zubin hesitated before enveloping me into a hug. His strong arms squeezed me gently until one of them was lifted from my back.
Zubin's right arm was the one that was raised. The arm that gripped the knife.
My body, still next to Zubin, tensed up. Adrenaline pounded through my veins as I clutched his shirt. A single tear rolled down my cheek to the salty floor of the boat.
No matter how hard I tried to be angry with Zubin, I could still never repay him for all the times we had together; all of the shared lunches, all of the impromptu dance parties, and everything else he did in our friendship at The Dome.
It was just the way the world worked now, he had to kill me as much as I had to die.
I couldn't live like this.
I took my last breath and relaxed into his arms.
"I'm so sorry," he whispered softly, his warm lips tickling my ice cold skin.
Zubin plunged the knife into my back.