The Dome

"BECAUSE I'M HAPPY, CLAP ALONG IF YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPINESS IS TO YOU!" I yelled as my friend laughed at my inability to sing
Music blared through the room as my best friend, Zubin, and I danced to the beat. Pharrell Williams' voice came at us from all angles of the room.
"Pause the music," I commanded. The electronic walls heard my voice command and obeyed. The music stopped.
"That was tiring!" I exclaimed, not noticing Zubin having a laughing fit on my bed.
"What's so funny?" I asked playfully, putting my hands on my hips. Zubin regained his sanity and sat up.
"Do-Do you know how terrible your voice is?" Zubin answered in between giggles.
"Yeah, Yeah. You don't have to rub it in," I grinned and punched him playfully on the shoulder. Zubin sighed and laid back on my mattress.
"Happy really is a classic, even if it is a couple hundred years old. Don't you think?"
"Yeah, having Happy on the impromptu dance party playlist was a good idea," I said, sitting on my bed next to him. Both of our phones rang simultaneously, interrupting the lull in our conversation.
We glanced at each other, and I held a finger to my temple to answer the call. I had once heard that five hundred years ago, people carried around devices to communicate to each other.
They actually had to carry it!
It must have been like carrying around a brick! Having everything already built inside you was so much easier. We have all had clocks, phones, and other useful contraptions inside of ourselves since as long as I can remember. I can barely imagine a life without it all.
"Hello?" I said. The phone answered with a long beep that hurt my ears.
"Ow!" I yelped instinctively.
"Are you ok?" Zubin asked, sitting up with the same look of pain on his face. He had gotten the same phone call too.
"Yeah..." I dismissed the high-pitched noise, put the call on speakerphone so we could hear, and listened intently for the message. Zubin did the same.
"Severe alert," the voice of an android said on the other side of the line "Flood warning this area starting at one o'clock. Please avoid areas near the edges of The Dome. Thank you for your cooperation." The caller hung up.
"F-F-Flood?" Zubin said uneasily, "I thought The Dome was built to keep out water..."
The Dome was the secure place that Zubin and I had lived in since birth. It was placed on the bottom of the ocean, protecting it's people from the harms that laid in the uncharted territory beyond. Many of the world's remaining citizens, including Zubin and I, took refuge in The Dome after global warming, pollution, nuclear wars, and other horrible human practices destroyed all inhabitable land.
I tapped my wrist to check the time. It blinked 12:47 p.m. underneath my skin.
"One o'clock is in roughly ten minutes," I reported. Zubin got up and gathered his things quickly.
"I have to get home. See you later, Jade," he said, halfway out the door. 
"Bye, Zubin," I replied before he twisted my door handle closed.
As soon as he was gone, I started to hyperventilate.
What was I going to do if something went wrong? My parents were out of the house running errands. Was The Dome going to flood? If it did, everyone's technology would glitch, affecting their brains, and ultimately their heart. The lucky ones would survive for maybe an hour in the water. If The Dome did flood, would I go to the emergency boat tunnels? Would it still function after all these years?
I tried to calm myself down. Maybe The Dome's leaders were just being cautious of possible floods.
Then I heard it.
I shielded my face as shards of the clear material surrounding The Dome broke through my window, causing it to shatter. I looked out to see a massive amount of dirty black water flooding in to The Dome, my neighbors and acquaintances running for their lives. Thousands of screams filled the air, and terrified voices rang in my ears. As soon as I saw the wreckage, I sprinted out of my room and down the stairs, the instinct of survival taking over every bone in my body.
When I was no older than eight, a puncture the size of a needle had been broken through The Dome. There was a big fuss about it, and ever since that day, my protective parents had been paranoid that a flood would come and electrocute us to our deaths. They had told me that if I ever saw even a speck of water coming through The Dome, I was to run to the escape system.
I flipped my family's dining room table to the side in a rush and shoved the carpet away. Installed in every home was a trapdoor, leading us to safety if we ever needed it. Using all of my strength, I unlocked the vault, climbed inside, and locked it up again. My heart pounded out of my chest as I flipped the light switch and ran down the dimly lit hallway.
It was almost like this whole situation wasn't real. It seemed that the only people in The Dome that had even thought of the probability of it flooding were my parents.
My footsteps echoed through the hallway. I could hear the loud splashes of water hit the air sealed door behind me. I hope Zubin got home in time to escape, I wondered. If anything happened to him, I don't know what I'd do.
I finally reached a small wooden lifeboat at the end of the tunnel. I saw a glass tube going up vertically, waiting for me to put my boat inside. I heaved the boat in and secured it inside, making sure it was locked. I hopped inside quickly, double-checking my exit plan.
All systems were up and running. The only thing I hoped for was that Earth wasn't as bad as all the rumors said it was.
The rowboat was launched into the air like a rocket before falling into the sea.
"Oof!" I grunted, white-knuckling the sides of the boat. The ocean was worse than anyone could have ever imagined. Large waves crashed all around me, threatening to destroy my boat. Trash filled every wave that came towards me, like mountains of litter. The sky, a dark and angry grey, shot lightning down at the sea, silencing the sounds of water lapping the side of my boat. Rain poured down, and my heart skipped a beat. Exposure to water would cause my technology to malfunction. Since everything was wired to my brain, my brain would shut down. I tried to cover myself as best as I could, but I knew it was no use. I needed to get out of the rain, and quickly.
"ZUBIN!" I cried out, desperately hoping he was still nearby. The sound of the ocean and the sky fighting with one another overpowered my senses, but my ears strained to hear anything from another living being. The boat bobbed up and down wave after wave, yet I could hear nothing.
Then it came. The last and most gigantic wave of the set came moving towards me. It sprung up out of nowhere, carrying loads of debris with it.
I was doomed.
It advanced towards me, fighting it's way through the storm. I curled up in fetal position, ready for the worst. The wave lifted me up, and before I instinctively closed my eyes for the impact, I saw him. I could see a boat bigger than mine behind the wave, carrying Zubin and others to safety. As the tsunami descended down on me, I could see his boat struggling to stay up. That was the last thing I remembered before a piece of driftwood came flying towards me.