Chapter One

Chapter One: He looked at her and the earth continued moving at a normal rate because looking at a person does not change the laws of gravity.

It was summer when she met him. Wouldn't it figure that she would meet the love of her life while sweaty, uncomfortable, and bright red.

Damien James Kyle McRouge was the most dangerous boy in school, just two weeks after moving to the small town of Crescent Hill. Annabelle Zoe Prettyface was the nerdy, ugly girl, and she'd been living there her whole life.

They first locked eyes over a plate of spoiled potato salad. Annabelle would have been commenting on the spoiled salad to her friends if she had any, which she did not, because she was nerdy and ugly. He paused in front of her table, and her breath caught in her throat. He was absolute perfection--an adonis, sent from the heavens to save her from a life as the ugly girl. He parted his perfect, plump lips, and she'll always remember what he said.

"Are you...going to eat that?"

Her throat was dry, but she forced words to tumble from her lips.

"It's spoiled."

"Are you going to eat it?"

"...no. I'm not that brave." She breathed, and he smirked at her while grabbing a fork. His seawater blue eyes remained fixed on her as he scooped a heaping bite of the salad onto his fork, and then he slowly lifted the fork to his perfect, plump lips.

She shivered in anticipation as he slowly chewed the rancid salad. Surely, the mayo was fetid. Of course, the potatoes tasted of filth. The egg must have been killing him and yet...

She thought of him for the rest of the day, of his seawater eyes, his bravery. Even with all the testosterone that radiated off of him, he was vulnerable enough to puke in front of her. He was even kind enough to apologize about her ruined backpack. That day, she realized that he was absolutely perfect.