Chapter Twenty-Two

Solomon parked around the corner. He hadn't done time on covert operations with the Special Forces for nothing. He ducked up the neighbor's drive and climbed the side fence before creeping along the wall of Paul and Daisy's house.

He edged toward the rear yard. Once he got to the back corner he glanced up. The bathroom light was on. He'd take his chances. If Daisy was downstairs in the kitchen he was done for, but if he waited too long she'd be washed and back in the kitchen before he had a chance to act.

After taking a deep breath to center himself, he snuck around the corner. He passed the kitchen window. A glance inside revealed Paul was alone. Solomon grabbed the back-door handle and stepped into the room. The fact that it wasn't locked cemented his opinion that telling Paul was the right thing to do. A man couldn't be on guard if he had no idea he was likely to be under attack.

"What the fuck?"

Solomon chuckled. "You've gone soft in your old age. There was a time when no one could creep up on you. However, I've still got the magic. Oh, and I believe you owe Daisy five pounds for using the F-word."

Paul smiled. "Perhaps you should try giving up being a big bad arse and settle down. Maybe a woman could soften your hard edges."

"I like my edges just fine the way they are."

"Did you forget something? I can get Daisy. She's only just gone up to the shower."

"It's not Daisy I'm wanting. We need to talk."

"About?"

"Daisy's not being as forthright as she could be about the investigation."

"She's lying? What about?"

"Her car's at the police station."

"Did she have an accident?"

Solomon shook his head and crossed to stand beside Paul. "This will go easier if you just listen. I don't have much time."

Paul turned the heat down under the curry and stood with his arms folded. "Okay. What's going on?"

"I think the case we're working on is connected to some murders being investigated by Dan Maloney. Unfortunately, it looks like the murderer agrees. Someone threw pig's blood over the bonnet of Daisy's car and left a severed human arm attached to her steering wheel."

"What?"

"I think she's come to the attention of a murderer. I have no idea how far they'll go."

"Daisy? My Daisy? In danger?" Paul's face tightened as he clenched his jaw. "Fuck. Why didn't she tell me?"

"Because she's worried you would react badly. She's determined to keep working with me and solve the case."

"Bullshit. No fucking way. How could you let this happen?"

"I would say, in my defense, that your lady is not one to be contained. I didn't think handcuffing her to the desk would go so well, based on how she reacted the last time I chained her up."

Paul took a step toward Solomon, his hands fisted at his sides, his jaw still tight, and his eyes blazing with anger. "This is not a fucking joke. You were supposed to protect her."

"I had no idea she would be in danger. How was I to know looking for Tobias Wareham would lead to this?"

"You're the professional."

Solomon stood toe to toe with him. He had never signed up to be her babysitter. Daisy was a bleedin' liability. If Paul wanted her to be safe he should never have let her out of the house. She attracted trouble like shit attracted flies. "I'm the man you forced to take her on. If anyone's to blame it's yourself. That's why you're so angry."