Chapter 27 - Rewind

Start from the beginning

“I hope you ladies are having fun.”  Keegan greeted and said girls just giggled.

“Welcome to the pack Emma.  I hope you would like it here and your job at the hospital.”

“I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage, alpha.  You know much about me and yet I don’t know much about you.”  Emma flirted.

“Well, shall we rectify that then, shall we?”

And as simple as that they hooked up. Since that night more than a few stolen moments had been shared.  Passion ignited every single time they came together. Emma basked in pure ecstasy.  She became the envy of almost every woman in the pack for having snagged the attention of the alpha. She decided to give up her innocence for the price of being his Luna. She wanted and craved for him like a drug to her system. Besides, the chance of finding her mate was remote to nil and Keegan Lucas was perfect for her.

Keegan had no serious intentions of going beyond sex with Emma.  He imagined that if fate deems that she would meet her mate, he would not be pleased.  He was wrong about thinking she had been with other men with the way she expertly flirted with him.  At the point when he shoved his penis into her he froze as he realized the contrary to the fact.  There was no turning back and he was not ecstatic in the least. He remembered getting dressed in record time after that first encounter and left her wondering. He tried to avoid her but he was a virile man in need of attention after a long and tiring day at the hospital.  Of all the women he had met, Emma’s willingness and passionate ways egged him on to continue with their liaison.  She was also smartly bold and strong willed.  If he was unlucky to find his mate, he could most likely choose her to be his Luna. The idea was not pleasant but he has an obligation to his pack.  A Luna was imperative.  Over the months that they had been together, Emma began to change.  She became more possessive of him and constantly hinted on making their arrangement permanent.

 “You don’t have to leave my bed each time, Keegan.  You can stay here - with me. I have fallen so hard for you and I was hoping you felt the same way about me.”

“I never do sleepovers Emma.  I fuck and I don’t make love.  By now you should understand that this was only temporary and I have been clear on it from the very beginning.  I never misled you into thinking this could be more serious.  You are an amazing woman Emma but I am not the one for you. And I know that someday, somewhere we will both meet our mates.  We have to be fair to them.  I’m sorry Emma, but it’s over.”

Their arrangement ended as fast as it began.  Emma put up a fight and was relentless in her efforts to win him back but all came to naught.  He lost interest in her, immersed himself into his work and she had to live with that fact each and every day. Their communiqué was only reduced to the formalities during a pack meeting or event.  He burned that bridge and snuffed out whatever attraction he once felt for her.  And Emma’s heart broke for the first time in her life.

*****

Queran’s eyes adjusted to the ray of light that was seeping through the drapes.  She lain on her back and turned to the side, instinctively reaching out for Keegan only to feel the bedclothes cold and undisturbed. Instead, a single peach pink rose and a folded note took its place.  She recognized the neat script of Keegan’s hand.

My Baby…I am broken inside to realize how much I hurt the one person I promised never to hurt. It kills me not to hold you as you sleep so I can take away the pain that I caused. You needed time and so I am giving it to you.  I hope you can forgive me, baby because I feel incomplete without you.  Please know that I love you…Always and Forever -- K