v

♠

I fell into the cushy red booth at the very back of the almost-empty "crossroads diner" we had entered while cruising silently down route 81. A waitress who looked about 45 approached my table with an old note pad and a blue pen behind her ear. "What can I get 'cha Hun?" She had sounded like she partied too hard last night, had one too many drinks, woke up the next morning to a hangover and tried to ease things out with like 20 cigarettes before her shift. I raised my eyebrows at the crackling sound of her voice. 

" I'll have a milkshake, please and thank you." She blinked her heavy eyelids. "We're all out."

"Ok, well then I guess I'll have a soda." She pursed her lips. "We're all out." She said again. I huffed. 

"Fine. I'll just have water." She said no more and turned and walked back to the counter where there was a row of glasses filled with tap water. She brought one back to me. I eyed the water suspiciously. "Thank you..."  I glanced at her name tag. "Betty..". 

" Mhmm." Betty replied and walked away aimlessly. okay then. I had officially decided that this diner was eerie and weird. I dunked my straw into the visibly contaminated water and looked out the window to see Ransom pacing on the sidewalk nearby. He looked tense, yet problem-free. He had that charm, I suppose. His wholearm flexed as he brought his hand to his chin to ponder the problem at hand. At least I think that's what he was pondering. Ransom seemed to almost instantly feel my gaze upon him and began towards the diner.