iii

♠

••••••••••

2 months later 

My phone buzzed in my pocket as I approched the house. It was mom. I decided to ignore the call, as I was walking in the door when she called. I opened the door.

"Yea. I'm home. What's for dinner?" I yelled through the house. No reply. "Mom?"

I walked into the kitchen, where mom was always cooking whenever I got home from anything. She was not there. I yelled her name again. This time, louder. Silence.

"Fritz!!" More nothingness. I began up the stairs to see if he was trying to give me a scare.

Noone was home. Maybe they were calling to let me know where they were. I pulled out my phone and scanned through the missed and rejected calls. I clicked on mom's address. After ringing a few times, the voice machine came on. Strange. She just called not two minutes ago! Ransom suddenly popped into my head. Perhaps he might have seen them around? What the hell, brain. Why Ransom? Why not Ava-rose?? 

Whole Foods? Whole Foods.

I hurried into the store in attempt to find Ransom. After scanning through a few aisles, I spotted him at the pizza counter. I ran up to him.

"Ransom!" His head snapped up at the sound of my voice. The salesman placed Ransom's slice of pizza on the counter, but Ransom still turned to me.

"Ya, what's up?!" He said, responding to my worried tone. I immediately took my phone out and shoved it at him.

"My mom and Fritz are not at home and i called them, but they didn't pick up after calling me five minutes before. I need connections to more people in case something like this happens again...if I ever find them." I said all in one breath.

"Oh, Kai. Just calm down. I'm sure they're going to be okay. Look," He took his slice and waved a thanks to the salesman. I followed him to a table where he sat down with his pizza. "I'll help you find your mom and...dad, correct?"

"No, Fritz is my brother." I started bouncing up and down, silently urging him to at least chew a little faster. "My family never leaves the house with out telling SOMEONE." I said.

"What did I say?" He asked me calmly. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"Calm down." I replied while reopening my eyes. When I did, Ransom was looking at me with an empty plate in front of him. I smiled in relief. "Ah!! You're done! Let's go!!" I said, taking his hand and hurrying towards the door. When we got outside, we were on the sidewalk on our way to who-knows-where.

"So.." I say. "How's mom?" I nudged his shoulder. He smiled down at me.

"Heh. She's great. She actually was happy that I met you and that I could talk to you in my spare time." I snuck a small smile to myself when I looked away. We crossed the street.

"Hey, Ransom. Where are we going?" He didn't reply. He just looked down the street. I followed him