Chapter 22: Mind Games

Start from the beginning

"Go to hell," I spat.

"Only if you come with me," he replied casually.

It drew laughter from the surrounding crowd. They were whispering to each other with amused looks. This was not a game. They didn't understand what he did to me. They might think he saved Glek from the demons, but that was a lie. He was a demon.

"Will there be no others?" Eadwyn waved his arm, but everyone stayed in line. "No? Very well. But as a god, a mortal man would be a real challenge."

Tobias folded his arms.

"The gate of hell have been unlocked, and my men have captured one of the beasts. Would we not like to see the devil take on a monster of his own realm?" He asked the people.

They cheered, shaking their fists in the air.

"Then it is decided." Eadwyn looked down his nose at the lone competitor. "Come tomorrow, a death match between the great devil and a lowly beast. The looser as we know will be sent back to hell."

A whisper spread through the crowd.

"Fear not." Eadwyn held up his hands. "Many of you are concerned about the curse if the devil were to be killed. But the beast he will be fighting is not of this world. His demise will not fall onto us, but hell." He looked to the sky. "Our great god has told me so. The curse will only fall upon us if it is a mortal that takes the devil's life."

A soft murmur spread among the people.

"So let them battle," he announced. "Let the devil prove himself and as a reward if he wins," he grabbed my arm and pulled me in front of him, "Raja will be his for one night."

They people yelled and hollered with excitement. The ground shook from the noise.

I took a deep breath. There was still a chance. The demon could kill him and spare me the horror of having to lie with the devil. Tobias's red eye flickered in the light as he smiled at me. I had a feeling I wasn't going to be that lucky.

***

I stared across the room. Why? It was so frustrated I wanted to throw something. Why did he come back? I already live in shame, and the devil decided to return. I jolted out of my thoughts as a tray was set down in front of me. Glancing across the table, I saw Nyko sipping from his cup. The overlord had already started eating.

Nyko sighed, shaking his head, before lifting his fork. I had a right to be upset.

"Eat Raja," said the lord. "If the devil does win tomorrow, you will have to provide him services."

"I refuse," I stated.

Silverware clanked against the table.

"You what?"

"Refuse," I repeated. "Not with that man. There are other pets, he can choose from them."

"That's not how it works." Eadwyn narrowed his eyes. "The winner chooses whomever he wants. The devil has made it clear you are off limits. He will choose you, and you will perform your task."

"I will not."

"I will not have this agreement with you!" He slammed his fist on the table. "The people demand it, so it will be done. Pray the beast wins, because that is your only way out."

Letting out a heated breath, I tossed my napkin on the table and stood. "I'm done."

Eadwyn clenched his jaw. "Take him to his room. I've had enough."

A guard grabbed my upper arm and led me away. It was my body. I had a right to say no. Back at my room, I was ushered inside, and the door was quickly closed. The lock clicked into place. Crying out in frustration, I shoved a table to the side, sending a lamp shattering to the floor. I backed away from the pieces of glass until I hit a wall. Sinking to the ground, I closed my eyes and tried to calm down. I won't do it. The overlord couldn't make me.