Chapter 11: Gonna Get Caught - Edited

Start from the beginning

"You two better have a good explanation for this," he said.

"Dad," David said.

"I don't want to hear it," he said, "You will address all of us, as a family."

"Fine," David said, "Alicia?"

While we all sat back down, Alicia kept standing and started explaining her story. I looked over at Demi and she gave me a small smile. My heart was racing. I've never been this mad before in my life. I thought my life was bad before, now it was just a disaster.

"I did have a good reason," she said, "I really did. Do you know how screwed up this family is? David became famous and was able to escape, but me and Kayla were still stuck here. I made some friends at school....bad friends. They made me feel better at first. I wasn't alone, and I thought they understood me. We started breaking into places and drinking and doing drugs. David found out what I was doing and tried to get me to stop. When I told my friends, they said it wasn't allowed. The only way to get out of the group was if I died."

"So you faked your death? Are you stupid?" I asked.

"Like you are any better!" she said, "I just faked my death, you actually tried to make yours happen."

I stood there staring at her, feeling the tears start to form again. Demi stood up as soon as Alicia finished the sentence. I knew Demi well enough by now to know that there was no way she was going to handle someone saying that.

"You think this is a joke?!" Demi said, "Cutting is a serious problem for a lot of people and so is depression! How dare you make Kayla feel like she's a bad person! She suffers from a real disease and what about you? You were just a trouble maker who faked her death to get away from someone. Kayla is a better person than you will ever be! You have no right to come in here after all these years and make Kayla feel like this! Why would you want to upset your own sister like that? Did you ever love her at all?"

Alicia stood there, getting madder by the second, but I couldn't stop crying. My own sister said I was worse than she was. It wasn't my fault I was like that. It wasn't my choice. I stood up from the couch and ran to my room crying. I slammed the door behind me and collapsed onto my bed. I could hear more yelling going on downstairs, but I don't care. I just laid there crying. Demi was completely right. How can Alicia just come in here after all these years and just insult me like that? And David just sat there and let her say it. He was the one I was supposed to count on; the one who was helping me through all of this.

I slowly got up off the bed and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I put both hands on the sink and looked up into the mirror at what I've become. My hair was naturally wavy now; I had stopped using my straightener. My face was tanner than it has ever been before and it wasn't covered in makeup. I was wearing eyeliner and lip gloss.  I looked down at my clothes, which were completely different than before all of this. I wore light colored jeans, instead of dark, and I was wearing a blouse instead of a rock t-shirt and hoodie. Alicia didn't know this Kayla and neither did David. I wasn't even sure I did, but Demi did. She has been through all this before. She knows what has to be done, and what's right. She believes in me and wants me to believe in myself. That's what I did this afternoon. I stuck up for what was right. I couldn't let myself down now. I heard my bedroom door open, but I didn't respond. Demi opened the bathroom door and just looked at me.

"You thought about it?" she asked.

"Wouldn't you?"

"Did you?" she asked.

I just nodded my head and lowered it slowly, "But I thought about it, SO hard."

She came over to me and hugged me. I heard the rest of my family come in as well. They didn't know what to say. My mom was in tears and David looked really disappointed. Alicia was just standing there. I don't think she knew what to think. I cried harder as Demi kept hugging me.

"Am I ever gonna be okay?" I asked.

"Yes," Demi said pulling away, "You have more people supporting you than you realize."

Demi slowly back up as my mom came up and hugged me, "Honey everything will be okay. You can do this."

"I don't know," I said, "I wanted to."

"It's naturally to want to," Demi said, "but you didn't."

My mom pulled away and put her arm around me. I looked up at David who's disappointment look had finally gone away.

"I'm proud of you," he said, "I know you're mad, but what she said was uncalled for. You're my sister too and I couldn't be more proud."

"But I still thought about it," I said.

"But you didn't," he said, "Even if you did think about it, you resisted. That's progress."

"He's right," my dad said, "It’s progress and we will be here the whole way."

"Thank you," I said.

"Let's go make something to eat," my mom said.

"Good idea," I said, "Let's go back downstairs."

Everyone slowly walked out of the room, leaving me with Alicia.

"Can we talk?" she said.

"Sure," I said, "Let's go to my room."

We slowly walked out of the bathroom and I sat down on my bed. She started wandering around the room, obviously delaying whatever it is she wanted to say. I don't know what she wants to say, but I just want an apology. She hasn't been here in years. She can't just come in here. If she doesn't realize that, I was leaving. She slowly sat down on the chair at my desk, and finally looked me in the eyes for the first time since she's got here. This was going to be sincere.

THE END CHAPTER 11!!

feedback?
remember to vote and comment! I love reading your comments!