Ch 13 Part Two

It wasn't until I was nearly at NYU's campus that I realized I didn't know where to go from there.  I went into what looked like the main building and found a desk that said "Student Center" over top of it.  Sitting at the desk was a blond cheerleader-type with a big smile on her face.

    "Could you help me with something?"  I asked with as much sweetness as I could muster. 

    "I'll do my best!" Blond Cheerleader exclaimed. 

    "Great," I said.  "Um, I'm here to surprise my friend but I'm not exactly sure where to find him."

    "A surprise visit!  That's so sweet!" she squealed.  She spoke next in "hushed" tones that really could have been heard clear across the room.  "I'm technically not supposed to do this but I could look up his information for you."

    "Well I don't want to get you in trouble..."

    "No one's gonna know!"  she replied cheerfully.  I had a feeling she'd done this before once or twice.  "What's his name."

    I told her and she expertly typed it into her computer.  "Well he's in a class right now but it's done in about five minutes.  You can surprise him when he comes out!  That'd be so sweet!"

    After getting all the information from Blond Cheerleader (who despite her annoyingly bubbly nature, was rather helpful), I went off to locate Bld 4 Room 203, Econ 101. 

    I held my breath as students began to filter out of the classroom.  Each person who wasn't him made me more and more anxious. 

    "Sherrie?"

    "Hi," Here he was standing in front of me.  I had done it.  This was really happening.

    "What are you doing here?"

    "I came to see you." I said, my words suddenly rushing out.  "I'm sorry about how I left things.  I got scared and I ran away because that's how I deal with things!"

    "You never said goodbye," he said simply.

    "I know and I'm sorry.  I nev-"

    "Logan!"  And here enters Gorgeous Brunette.  "A bunch of us are going to get pizza.  You should come!"  She paused and glanced at me as if noticing I was there for the first time.  "You can bring your friend if you want."

    "It's okay," I said before Logan could answer.  "I'm not staying long."

    "Gina, could you give us a sec?" he asked. 

    "Sure," Gorgeous Brunette replied, her eyes curious as she scampered off.

    "She's just a friend," Logan insisted.

    "You don't have to explain anything to me," I replied, suddenly extremely uncomfortable.

    "You're right, I don't." he agreed.  "You really hurt me." When I said nothing, he went on.  "Do you know what I've been going through?  Do you know how hard it's been for me to just forget about you?  About what we might have been?"

    "Obviously coming her was a mistake." I said softly.

    Logan sighed.  "No, I... Maybe we should go somewhere and talk about this."

    "I really have to go," I insisted.  At his point, I was fighting back tears.  "Have fun with your friends."

    "Sherrie-" he called but I was already walking away. 

    It was a really nice day, I noticed as I bit my lip to keep from crying.  The sun was shining and the birds were chirping.  As the tears finally began streaming down my cheeks, I cursed the sunshine for all its irony as I didn't feel sunshine-y in the least.