Parto Dos

Chapter 6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?

George Price

The next week went by in a blissful blur. I spent my days at work, with friends, or with Connor. The relationship was everything I could have hoped for. Since he was leaving at the end of the summer it was pretty much understood that it wasn't going anywhere which simply took the pressure off things.

Logan was becoming a really good friend. We had a lot of similar interests and started hanging out together outside of work. We spent a lot of time simply discussing things. At first it was music then movies and television and eventually it was just whatever was on our minds that day. We talked about things that would have bored Ryan or Brisa. That was the great thing about Logan; not only was he incredibly patient but he actually seemed like he was interested in talking to me.

"Let's play the question game." I said one day. We were at his house playing Call of Duty on his Xbox 360.

"The question game?"

"It's simple; we each ask a question, we each answer a question. But you have to answer or else you lose."

"You're on," Logan replied then laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Did you get this from a movie or something?"

"No!" I exclaimed defensively. Then after moment, "It was a book."

He grinned. "Alright, so all I have to do is ask a question?" I nodded. "What's your favorite food?"

"Ice cream," I replied without missing a beat.

Logan shook his head. "That doesn't count. Ice cream is a dessert."

"So? It's still a food." I swore loudly as I once again got shot and killed. "I suck at this game."

"It just takes practice." Logan said. "Your turn."

"Um," I thought for a minute. "Favorite school subject?"

"That's easy," he replied. "Art."

I took a moment to consider this. "Art,"

"Yep," he said. "It's my major. I want to be an artist."

"What kind of art?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Mostly drawing, painting. That kind of stuff."

"Maybe sometime you could draw me,"

"Maybe," Logan said. "I win."

I sighed as his new high score popped up on the screen. "Rematch. I'll beat you this time!"

Logan grinned. "You're on."

Generally, my life was going swimmingly. I had great friends, a great boyfriend, and was spending as little time at home as possible. And yet, I couldn't seem to get that text from James off of my mind. I still hadn't replied and he hadn't made any other attempts to contact me. My guess was he had gotten drunk one night and didn't even remember sending the message. In any case, he was supposed to be out of my life for good and I was sure I didn't want to go down that road again. So why did his name keep creeping into my thoughts?

When Ryan invited Brisa and me over for a sleepover, I jumped on the chance for a distraction. Ryan loved the chance to entertain; Brisa and I often joked of her throwing dinner parties and being the perfect housewife someday.