Cliff.

-this story was shared by hetoowasthere on reddit-

I live in Pasadena, California. There is this place called "Gravity Hill" that we had heard about, and decided to check out. Apparently, you stick your car in neutral on this hill, and your car will go backwards up this "hill". On the way there, we did some more googling, and it appeared that there was more than one of these, and that there was a scientific explanation to this. Optical illusion and all that, yadda yadda.

Ok cool. Should provide mild entertainment value on a boring Friday night. We also heard about how this hill was haunted. Yeah, whatever, of course a ghost story has to accompany this cool phenomenon, it comes with the territory. The story goes: the driver of a school bus full of kids lost control of the vehicle, and it flew off a cliff, killing everybody. The reason people's cars now go "uphill" is because the children are pushing them up, trying to save them from suffering their fates. And if you put powder on the hood of your car and then let it go up the hill, the handprints of the children saving you will appear.

We thought this story was lame, predictably. So we finally arrive to the area. It's pitch black and we really can't see anything but the road.

We get to the exact spot we're supposed to be in, I stick my car in neutral, and sure enough, my car slowly backs up. I put it in drive and drive forward so we can try it again. We even exit my car, and watch as it slowly backs up the slope. We're all unimpressed after 30 seconds, but remember the powder thing.

There was nothing else for us to do that night, and I'm the one with the car and am a thrill-seeker anyway, so we drive back down to the market to get some powder. We go back to the spot, get out, put some powder on my car, and then try again(my car is dirty and desperately needs a car wash, by the way. This is important).

Same thing. The car just backs up slowly. We try it two more times. Nothing is showing up on the car. Lame, and expected. My friends all think this is dumb, I remain disappointed. We get in my car and turn back around, ready to call it a night. We've been driving for all of 10 seconds when I make a stop.

"Huh?" said Friend 1.

"Dude why'd you stop?" exclaimed Friend 2.

I say, "Guys, look. Look at my front bumper."

Friend 1: "Oh shit. No..."

We all exit the vehicle, and what do we see all over the hood?

Perfectly. Formed. Child. Sized. Handprints. Remember when you were a kid, and dipped your palm in paint, and pressed it on the piece of paper? Yeah, it was that kind clear and perfect. We all stared in disbelief at my hood. My one friend kept saying "One of you guys must've touched the car when we stepped out of it!" But the rest of us knew. We never touched the hood, and even if we did, we couldn't leave marks like these.

"There's more!"

My friend is at the side of my car, and sure enough, there are more handprints. Not as many that were on the hood, mind you, but still a few. These were made because of all the dirt that accumulated on my car. And my car wasn't a white car. So there are handprints on the hood, some on the side, a couple at the back of the car even! A couple on the back window! What in the hell! So what do we do, in classic horror movie fashion?

We drive back up to the spot. Why? Because I wanted to. I am a thrill junkie and wanted to see if I could "communicate" with the ghost children. We get out again and I say "Hello?!". No response. My friend says "Dude this is impossible. There isn't even a cliff around here anyway!"

Hm. True. But who cares at this point, ghosts left their handprints on my car! But I was still curious. We hadn't investigated what's towards the side of the road yet. There are a few trees, it looks like. I decide to get closer.

I walk over, afraid of a ghost girl jumping out at me. But I get closer, and my vision is becoming clearer, and what do I see?

A giant, protective fence, wrapping around this giant cliff! This is the area where all of these lives were lost. Before with the handprints, I was just in a state of disbelief. But for some reason, upon discovering the cliff, I felt this powerful "ghostly energy" I got the chills and made a run for it. We all get back into my car and speed back to my friend's place. We stayed for an hour, talking, trying to rationalize what we had just experienced. But deep down, I think we all knew that it was definitely paranormal.

---

A/N this one gave me chills. Also i'm so close to 1k reads thanks so much!

~ Nic xx