The Dolls.

-this story was shared by Omnus89 on reddit-

So this was several years ago, when I was a total deadbeat and lived with my then-girlfriend's parents. They had a tri-level house, with the basement that contained our living space and my girlfriend and I's bedroom. Upstairs, was the living space for everyone else, the dining room, and kitchen. The third level had the master bedroom, and two additional bedroom's for my girlfriend's sisters.

I was home alone one night, with her parents off with friends, my girlfriend at a friend's, and her sisters were at an all night church thing. I elected to stay home and play WoW all night. Where my computer and desk sat, right above my head, was an AC vent. Often, I could hear her sister playing in her room from that vent. I was leveling my Paladin or something when I heard laughing and giggling coming from the vent. Nobody was supposed to be home, so my heart picked up. I glanced at the clock on my computer, and it read 1:36 AM. I remember this all very distinctly.

I went to go investigate and headed upstairs. The way the landings sits is at the top of those stairs, you can turn left and either go upstairs or go into the kitchen. I climbed the second set of stairs and opened the first door on the left which was her young sister's room, which is directly above the basement.

Inside, I used the light of my phone to illuminate as best I could. I saw a small figure, what I assumed was a small girl wrapped in a white sheet in the center of the room. Cue pants shitting. This figure, this young girl, stops playing with the dolls and slowly looks at me.

It let out the most ear shattering scream you can imagine. My skin crawls just thinking about it and my chest tightens just remembering it.

I wish I could tell you what transpired, but I remember waking up at the bottom of the landing, right next to the door of the kitchen. I stumbled into the kitchen to get a drink of water and contemplate what the fuck just happened. I glanced at the clock on the microwave.

The clock read 4:46 AM.

We never found the sheet the next day, but the dolls the figure was playing with were sitting in the middle of the room, away from the toy chest which they were inside of that afternoon when she cleaned her room which is across the room.

Edit: Everyone is saying to turn on the light. That's all well and good, and I would have done that, however, the light in the room operated on a pull cord connected to a fan in the center of the room. Flicking the light switch would have done me no good.

Edit 2: Someone said I should have taken photos of the ghost. Yes, I should have, since I had my phone. However, this phone was so old, it didn't have a camera. All it was used for was for calling people.