More from Pix English #1: AS YET UNKNOWN

What did you like best about The Cultivated Girl?
a) The strong female protagonists?
b) The fighting, action and adventure?
c) Or the escapism as you immersed yourself in a different world?
d) All of the above?

If you picked any of the above you might want to try the latest book I've written: 'As Yet Unknown'. 

Psst - scroll down below the cover, you can read the first bit before you commit to a messy literary affair away from Fantasy.

If you're into labelling you could shove in your dystopian box, maybe file it under sci-fi or just slide it straight into the action/adventure portal

If you're into labelling you could shove in your dystopian box, maybe file it under sci-fi or just slide it straight into the action/adventure portal. Without further ado, sink into the world of our lovely, flawed action heroine, Ping.

EXTRACT FROM CHAPTER ONE

The year 2986.

From the moment I rolled into the Waitaks on my black Mantis and saw them, I felt a shift, as if the scab of the old, dead earth beneath me itched. Pakeha. They were real. The dead living outside the pure orbs of the Lotus Cities. This place, spoken of as if myth, manifesting like the rotted sunset.

I dialled my Domes full and waited, still as a hunting spider in the cracked moonlight, not that such a thing still existed. I was Nori and I could out wait anything living. They were scared, hiding behind the wounded eyes of diseased houses, ghosts shielded by mottled concrete walls. I ached to round them up, take them back to the Elders, proof that we must work harder to eradicate those that threaten our resources, our short lives. But I was Nori. I had discipline and so I held back.

The Dome600psi bulged from my face, projecting green stats only I could see into the air. They jacked into my senses so I could hear the pakeha whispers, insect, Nori, hide.

Still I waited, boots sprouting from the muddy earth, more solid than the rotting foundations around me. I leaned back on my bike, casually thumbed the release button at the base of my protective body-shell. Traditionally we Nori are genderless but I suspected these creatures would sense weakness in a female. That it would draw them out. The helmet smoothly slid backwards into the layered carapace and my hair snaked out.

Just a women.

What does it want?

Sex.

Hands down Glow.

Illegals - give them Jamie. A guffaw.

A girl slipped out behind a wall, skinny, blonde, dirty, like them all, eyeing me peripherally. I analysed her markings, mottled lemon on her pale skin. I pondered these words we used, archaic phrases from a world long lost. I'd looked up lemons when I'd first gained clearance for the archives and there it was, a bright yellow growth, like a tumour, nothing at all like the washed out imitation of Nori skin these pakeha displayed. Our gardeners had never been able to recreate citrus.