"It is a big deal, Jimin." Taehyung said. Seokjin raised an eyebrow and looked between the two, trying to figure out how Taehyung knew confidential information. "Maybe we can talk to the Council, have them reconsider–"

"Drop it, okay? I fucked up, I broke the rules, there's no going back." Jimin said. Seokjin frowned and opened his mouth to chastise Jimin for cursing, but Taehyung was already talking again before he could.

"Seriously, Jimin, we should talk to them. We're matchmakers, remember? We give love. It's our job." Taehyung told him, and Jimin squinted his eyes. Using his own words against him. What a bastard.

"The Council won't give love to someone like me, Tae. I broke the rules, I'm in love with a human, it's not allowed." Jimin practically hissed. A few heads turned their way and Jimin hid his face behind the big sleeve of his hoodie. Jungkook looked a little taken aback but quickly recovered, and Namjoon didn't react at all. Seokjin must have told him. "At any rate, even if they would send me back to give Yoongi love, since that's really their job, they wouldn't. They hate me."

       "They don't hate you–"

       Jimin turned towards Seokjin and scowled at him. "No, they definitely hate me. No need to lie. I could run around here wielding a knife, or do something to really put our race and danger, and they'd sooner have someone stabbed than send me back to the mortal world. As long as I'm not happy, they're happy."

"That's not true, Jimin–"

"It is true!" Jimin yelled, standing up from the table. "They want me as miserable as possible because I've always been a dud! I've never been able to do any of this matchmaking stuff right and now they're getting their revenge by making my life miserable! I- I don't deserve, I never have deserved my wings a-and this is just, this is just payback for all the time they wasted on me!" Jimin brought his fist down on the table with a heavy slam, his chest heaving as the realization of what he'd done sank in. He looked around him at all the people who had come to the cafe to try and enjoy their dinners in peace, but instead were rudely interrupted by someone who didn't even deserve to be amongst them. "I-I'm sorry, I have to go."

       "Jimin! Kookie, move, seriously c'mon– Jimin!" Taehyung ran after Jimin, who was already sprinting towards his room as quickly as he could. Taehyung debated just leisurely flying up to him, but Taehyung also lived for drama so he jumped over a bench and dropped his head, barreling towards Jimin, his legs working as fast as he could make them.

       "Jimin, stop! You know you're not a runner!" Taehyung yelled and Jimin stutter stepped, giving Taehyung just enough time to jump and tackle him to the ground. Jimin groaned and rolled over with Taehyung on top of him so he could cradle his head.

       "Jesus, Taehyung. I know you live for this kinda stuff but could you have a little sympathy on my skull? Jesus." Jimin moaned, pulling at the hair attached to the spot he'd slammed his head into the ground. Taehyung just shrugged and sat back on Jimin's thighs.

       "Wanna tell me why you're being such a drama queen? Yoongi's shows have changed you." Taehyung said. Jimin scowled at him and dropped his head back onto the floor.

       "Because I'm a literal piece of shit, Tae. I can't do anything right–"

       "That's never bothered you before," Taehyung said. Jimin reached up and punched him in the shoulder and Taehyung shrugged. "I'm just telling you."

       "But I'm sick of it, y'know? I've accepted my fate; I'm going to have to stay here and be miserable for my whole life. Fine, whatever. I can almost ignore it if you and Seokjin hyung aren't talking about it every two seconds." Jimin said. Taehyung frowned at him and helped him up off the ground.

       "We just want to help you, Jimin. And what I said, I meant it. Matchmakers are supposed to give love, it's what we're made to do. And every matchmaker gets a trial to try and convince the Council of why they should be able to marry before they can get married, I say you use your trial as a reason you should get to be sent back to the mortal world." They were headed in the direction of Taehyung's room, but Jimin didn't really mind. He was almost out of fairy dust anyway, before long he wouldn't be able to get into his room at all.

       "But I doubt they'll listen to me, they didn't before, what would make them change their minds?" Jimin asked. Taehyung shrugged and his door opened, and Jimin was momentarily jealous that his door wouldn't open automatically for him anymore.

       "Well, maybe if they won't listen to you, we'll have to get you to the mortal world some other way." Jimin and Taehyung jumped when Seokjin's voice sounded out from behind them. Taehyung recovered first.

       "What do you mean, hyung?" Taehyung asked, patting Jimin's cheek to bring him back to earth. He'd always been easy to spook.

       Seokjin smiled and turned towards Jimin, who was shaking off the last bits of jumpiness. "Jimin, how do you feel about one last mission?"

[ coughs ] two chapters left