Chapter Nineteen

"Dragons?" Julius squeaked," How did your dad figure that one out?"

Pierce glanced over from where he sat on his own bed to where Julius was sitting across from him.

"Oh right, never mind, I forgot."

Pierce fell back onto his bed. "How am I supposed to get myself out of this one? Even if I could outsmart a dragon, I can't outrun their flames-"

"Well, you do run pretty fast.'

"I'm not even sure what the task is involving dragons."

"Maybe they want you to wrestle one."

"I would leave the wrestling of dragons to Hagrid because I think he would be the only one fully capable of doing it. But in the end we both know he would probably just end up hugging it and trying to keep it as a pet."

Julius snorted. "You have a wild imagination, Pierce."

"I don't think I'm far from the truth, but..whatever..I just..I did not need this news right now, on top of everything."

Julius scooted his chair over towards his friend. "Everything is going to be okay, Pierce. If anyone can handle a situation like this, it's you."

"Thanks Julius, but unfortunately, Harry and I are really at the disadvantage here. We're younger than the others, which leaves us with less knowledge when it comes to-"

"No, Pierce, that might be the case for Harry, but you know a lot. I know you hate being called this, but you are a genius and it's not a bad thing. You don't have to be a genius like your dad-"

"That's what my father is known for."

"And it's only one of the things you're known for. You're known for a lot more things, not just being incredibly smart. Rather than worrying about your parents being around, you need to focus that mind of yours on a way you can fight a dragon. It'll give you the upper hand if you known what you're about to face. We still don't know if the other contestants know what the first task is."

"Right..you're right, Julius."

"I am? I mean, I am."

Pierce nodded his head before rising to his bed. 

"Wait where are you going?" Julius asked.

"To the library."

"Mate, it's nearing midnight."

"So?"

"I'm not going to even try arguing with you."

Pierce grinned. "Great."

"But if we get caught, I'm putting full blame on you."

"And I will gladly take it."

Hermione sat in the Great Hall one morning waiting for Pierce to arrive as she had to speak with him. Harry and Ron despite sharing a detention together, were still not on the greatest of terms no matter how hard she tried to reason with Ron. However, since Rita's article came to light, it seemed Hermione was getting on everyone's bad side. Even Mrs. Weasley didn't seem all that thrilled with her.

She waited for about an hour before she was about to give up, but finally she caught sight of Julius entering without Pierce.

She rose to her feet and walked over to the Ravenclaw table. The boy was about to drink a glass of juice when he spotted Hermione walking straight towards him.

"Uh..hello?" he said glancing around, making sure that he was approaching him.

"Hi, have you seen Pierce?" she asked.

"Yes, he's just outside the hall talking, he should be here in a couple of...there he is!"

Hermione turned to see Pierce enter the Great Hall rubbing his eyes but as he dropped his hand from his face, he looked completely wired.

"It was a long night." Julius whispered to her. "And he's a little hyped up on caffeine. Watch out...he tends to talk really fast with crazy hands."

"Crazy hands?" Hermione repeated.

"His hands go everywhere while he's talking. Caffeine and Pierce are a big no-no."

"Morning!" Pierce greeted her loudly causing several students to jump including Hermione.

"M-morning." she responded.

He sat down but as soon as he went for coffee, Hermione and Julius blocked him.

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked him.

"I'm fine, are you okay?" he countered.

"Well yes, but...I came over here to talk to you." she said before sitting down across from the boys.

"About what?"

"I think..I think you made a mistake." she told him.

"About?"

She placed the bag of money that he had given to her prior.

"Do you realize how much money is in here?" she questioned.

"Well, seeing how I was the one that counted it out...yes!"

"Yes, but the membership fee was only two sickles -"

"Right but I included late fees." he said.

"Yes but this is..a bit much."

"I don't think so. Think of all the possibilities you could use it for when it comes to your S.P.E.W. campaign, any needed supplies, you can buy right away. No need to wait on other members to join. Besides, I included Julius' membership fee in there as well."

"Wait, what?" Julius looked up from his plate.

"If you think about it, you have a good amount in there that many people could afford to join your club without paying the fee at this point. You'll find yourself with more numbers and support for those that were not willing to pay but could offer their support in other ways."

Hermione blinked several times as it seemed Pierce was talking at such a rapid pace she could hardly understand what he was saying. She kept her head and body back while his arms and hands shot up while he spoke.

"The more numbers you have the more others will take it seriously. They'll say, oh look, S.P.E.W. has grown quite a bit from it's starting point, maybe we should join, look how many other people already have. Then you'll find those who are willing to pay two sickles because it's not a lot to them.  It's perfect really. The perfect start to your campaign to help the House Elves and their working conditions. Just see this as an investment!"

He stood up without another word and walked down the table to grab the coffee that Julius had carefully moved away from him earlier.

"Pierce no!" Julius jumped up to take it from him.

"I just want a cup! Just one more!"

"You don't need it!"

"I didn't say I needed it. I said I wanted it!"

"Pierce put it down now!"

"No."

Hermione couldn't help but watch in amusement as Julius attempted to order Pierce to put the coffee down but no matter what Pierce continued to pour himself a cup.

"You know what's going to happen to you once the caffeine stops working right?" Hermione said trying to convince Pierce to put the coffee down as he returned to his seat the triumphant winner.

"Yes, I'll crash horribly and suffer caffeine withdrawals for the next few days."

"And that's okay with you?"

"Very much  so."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"Because, I happen to notice that it made you smile." he winked at her. "And that makes it completely worth it in the long run."

Julius shook his head as he watched the two interact.

 "But if I say something like that, I get hit and get called creepy."