Chapter Nine: A Family Torn

Start from the beginning

"Well my mind has been officially blown" huffed Darrell not quite beleiving what he was hearing. 

"If you want to talk let's at least get out of the open, our shouting match likely attracted a few stares from the neighbours" snapped Yalaria as she barged past Taylor and Darrel then turned the corner at the top of the alleyway. 

They followed on without protest, once they turned a corner Yalaria was stood at the door to small home wedged between two others. She ushered them inside following after they had crossed the threshold then locked the door behind. They'd entered a cramped kitchen which was litered with dirty bowls, dishes and other items of dining equipment imaginable, she walked to the sink and fished out a glass then inspected it in the light before deciding it clean enough to pour water in from the chrome tap. The three men stood waiting awkwardly as she slowly drained the glass of it's contents before slamming it down on the white granite counter. Her eyes rose steadily until they met with Argus', they burned with what could only be described as passion and fury molded together into one. 

"So what does the great Argus Braeken, want with little old me?" The words rolled off her tongue as if they were meant to kill. 

"As I said we need your help, things are desperate Yalaria. Culhuthe's heir has surfaced and we are on the defensive, if we don't act quickly then it's like in a matter of weeks the Cyturion's will start to topple government's" said Argus he refused to break his eyes away from the ice cold stare that bore down upon him. 

"No" it was so quick and without hesitation that for a few seconds Argus couldn't find his voice through shock. 

"If this is about us then please put that aside. What do you think is going to happen when they take over? You won't be able to hide from it, the only reason that you are still alive is because of the human's and your days of stealing will be over. Remember what you fought for all those long years ago, you betrayed your king, your people to do the right thing. So don't pretend that part of you is dead and buried because I know you too well for you to make me think other wise" said Argus, his words were filled with so much passion and strength that it was incredible to watch. 

"I fled because of that betrayal Argus, they came into our home and killed our daughter. All because of my love for you, her blood will always be on my hands as it will yours for convincing me to stay by your side" tears welled up in her eyes then she turned away and wiped at her eyes with the back of her hands. 

"That memory will always be there like a brand upon my heart, but running won't bring Alaria back. I thought about running as well, the hatred for the scum who broke our family apart stopped me. It allowed me to keep fighting, please fight with me and together we can make a better world, a world where not another child will have to suffer at the hands of a Cyturion ever again" he moved toward her and placed his hands on her shoulders. 

Taylor went into the next room gesturing for Darrell to follow, they clearly needed privacy and the last thing they needed were prying eyes. They could here muffled sobbing from inside the kitchen and their hearts broke at the sound of it. 

"Damn, I can't believe that Argus was a father. I can't even imagine how he felt when his daughter was killed" said Darrell. 

"Just hope that's something you never have to experience, that none of us do for that matter. I dread to think how many innocent people have been caught in the middle of all this. Taylor looked around the room they'd walked into which was much bigger than the one they had left. 

It appeared to be the living room, it had a single dark brown leather sofa nestled against the wall behind them which was positioned in front of wide screen tv which fit into the room well given it's size. The walls were clad in white wall paper with brown floral designs expertly woven throughout the surface. Soft cream carpet was led beneath their feet matching well with the rest of the decour of the room, the curtain's of the small window were shut making the room dark and only just visible to the eye. Despite the dire state of the kitchen the living room was relatively tidy and well looked after, no pictures hung from the walls but several expensive looking paintings did instead no doubt stolen or baught with stolen money.