IX. Not From Here

Julia woke up looking at her phone, it was a Saturday morning which meant no work at the Daily Planet but there would be work for her. The article, if Perry refused to publish it, Julia would have to do some research on Eleanor's mysterious rescuer. She thought about the man - his tough appearance to his blue eyes, could it be Eleanor's old childhood friend? If he was the boy from the bus accident, she'll have to visit a certain boy in Smallville.

The bar, the bus accident, the spacecraft - where else has she seen him? When Eleanor and her were dropped off in the Arctic? The boy who held their bags? Joe. Julia sat up in her bed and picked up her phone to call Colonel Hardy. It would be unusual for her to call on a Saturday morning and for this reason, Julia didn't care - she found a lead on this man. "Colonel Hardy? Hi, It's Julia Kingsley from The Daily Planet - I just wanted to call about one of your uhm... helpers should I say? I believe he goes by the name, Joe."

"Hello Miss Kingsley, pleasure hearing from you again. Joe? I haven't seen the man in days. He just came two days before you and Miss Eleanor arrived, then left the night you came. I'm sorry. Is there anything else I can do for you, Miss Kingsley?" "No, that's fine - Colonel Hardy. You have a wonderful day. Thank you." Julia hit her head with her hand; frustrated that she lost her only lead on Eleanor's rescuer. She tried to search the bar Eleanor and her attended and decided to try her luck there.

"Hi, It's Julia Kingsley from The Daily Planet, I just wanted an inquire about one of your employees? Joe?" "Joe? Ma'am, I don't know who you're talking about." "He's uhh... tall, dark curly hair and blue eyes? I believe Joe is his name." "Oh! I remember him, you mean Sam? He left like a week ago. He was a funny fellow, always quiet and keeping things to himself. I didn't see where he went because he just took off his apron and silently quit!" "Oh, when did he leave exactly?" "Not sure. I don't know where he is now. I'm sorry, Ma'am. I'd like to help but I'm kind of busy here."

"Oh, you're fine! Thank you for the help!" Hanging up the phone, Julia quickly jotted down the name Joe and Sam. Then she wrote down the professions -waiter and baggage carrier? Why would he leave suddenly? He had a good job. I mean at least he had a job. After getting dressed Julia drove toward Smallville - to visit a certain boy from Eleanor's childhood. Even though Julia didn't go to the same school as Clark and Eleanor, the bus incident had been all over the news. She was only 13 at the time but she remembered the event well.

**

"Hi, I'm Julia Kingsley from The Daily Planet. Is Pete Ross here?" Julia asked, brushing away strands of her brown hair. "Yes, he is. Pete! Someone from The Daily Planet is here to see you!" The woman yelled. "He'll be right with you. Are you sure you wouldn't like anything to drink?" "A latte would be fine, thank you." Julia browsed the bustling IHOP restaurant, taking in the different senses of food around her. In front of her was a chubby, short man with his recognizable ginger hair and freckles.

He looked the same as Eleanor had described her bully, only with a new addition of glasses. "Pete. You're looking well. I'm Julia Kingsley - I'm a friend of Eleanor Martin, she went to school with you." She introduced. Pete nodded slowly, scanning Julia's appearance. He nervously sat down across from her as Julia gathered her questions to discuss with him. "I don't mean to startle you but I came to question about the bus accident that happened eighteen years ago? Do you still remember that?" Pete nodded in reply as Julia continued.

"Do you recall the boy who saved you at all? Dark hair, pale skin, and blue eyes? The boy with 'supernatural' powers." She raised her hands to air quote the word supernatural. "You mean Clark Kent?" "Clark Kent huh? That's his name. Do you recall his parents' names?" "Yeah, Martha and Jonathan Kent." She thanked Pete for his help before walking out of the IHOP restaurant. Julia felt the energy in her burst. The Kents lived close to Eleanor's old home which would be not far away.