23 | law of attraction

Start from the beginning

    "Love?" she shrieks. "First you just waltzed in here and declare your apparent all-time crush, and we're talking about love now?"

    "No! You know what I meant!"

    There's sudden laughter outside the door and we both jump at the sound. My pulse kicks up a notch, but when I look, it's just a few underclassmen. I don't even see their faces.

     My best friend turns to me and puts her hands on my shoulders. "Look, Addie, to be honest — that sounds boring. That's not love, not even attraction. I know for a fact that love feels like you're in a high, never-ending adrenaline that shoots up in your veins, and your heart's pounding and your head's spinning. What you have with Trey doesn't sound like that."

     I raise my eyebrows. "And since when do you know all about love, Dr. Phil?"

     She actually blushes, but I forget to ask further (stupid of me) when she says, "Let's just test it out."

    "Huh?"

   "Give it a few days," she explains, pacing around, unusually planning a bold scheme. Which is usually my part. "Do whatever you would normally do. Hang out with Trey, Justine, I don't know. Don't act weird; you're a terrible liar. But focus on how you feel around him, how you feel not around him and how you feel when Justine's with him. Then you'll know."

     Silence. "And if I don't?"

    "I'll be your knight in shining armour."

     I slowly grin, remembering the time I said that to her during Iris's party. It feels like a lifetime ago, when I didn't even talked to the Reynolds twins back then.

    "Forty-eight hours," Liv decides.

     What?! "Seventy-two!"

     She sighs. "Fine. Seventy-two hours. You got three days, my friend."

     Yeap. Three days to figure out what the hell is going on in my mind.

     As Liv and I are heading to the door, she peeks back and makes a teasing face at me. Her dark eyes are gleaming. Don't say it, I think. Do. Not. Say —

    "Played by the player," she smirks.

     I hit her shoulder. "Our friendship is officially terminated."

2 1   H O U R S

    "The Law of..." I mumble, skimming the spines. Where the hell is — "Aha!"

     I pull out a thick hardcover of The Law of Attraction by this couple named Esther and Jerry Hicks. But it's based on the teachings of this dude named Abraham. Like Abraham Lincoln? 

     I question my intelligence sometimes.

     I've been constantly thinking about the possibilities all night. Couldn't even sleep. I want Liv to be right — that what I feel for Trey isn't attraction or, God forbid, love — but what if it's actually true? I wouldn't know, because I've never felt this way about anyone before. It's all very weird and confusing. Even the guys I dated weren't as complicated as this.

     I open the first few pages, scanning the words.

     The entire universe yields to you or begins to respond to you once you make a decision. It is in your ambivalence that you drive yourselves nuts.