One

(Cedric's P.O.V.)

There it was. The Hogwarts Express was waiting as he ran through the barrier. He smiled happily, excited for a new year at Hogwarts. He looked around for his best friend and his smile stretched into a grin as he spotted her talking to a group of Hufflepuffs. He crept up behind her a pulled her into a tight hug. She shrieked and then hit him on the arm.

"You scared me, Ced! If you ever do that again I swear it will be the end of you." She scowled, crossing her arms and pouting.

"Your reaction was worth it, even though I now feel the need to put at least three feet between us for the safety of all." He smirked down at her.

A smile slowly grew on her lips and she pulled him into a proper hug. He laughed in her ear and said, "I knew you wouldn't be able to resist me."

"Don't be an ass, Ced."

"At least I'm not short like you."

"Hey! I'm not that short." She pulled away, a scowl replacing her beautiful smile.

"You're short. I don't think you've grown at all since the first time I met you. You're still a short first year with frizzy hair."

"I think I'm going to have to find a new best friend if all you're going to do is insult me. And my hair is perfect, just like me."

"You know I'm only teasing, 'Ris. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. And you are perfect. Now come on, we're going to be late."

~~~

He was happy about his sorting, but still nervous. He prayed desperately that the pretty girl he had seen on the train would be sorted into Hufflepuff too. 

"Maya, Iris." Was called. So that's her name, he thought. Iris. 

She looked nervous as she made her way up to try on the hat. It was placed on her head, and her blue eyes disappeared under the hat. It seemed to talk for a long time, and he waited impatiently. 

Finally after what felt like an eternity, the hat slowly opened his mouth and then, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

He felt himself grinning and clapping as she ran to sit beside him.

"Iris Maya." She introduced herself.

Instead of saying, I know, he just said, "Cedric Diggory."

~~~

He had forgotten how he felt that day. How nervous he had been that she wouldn't be sorted into the house he was in. He had forgotten how pretty he thought she was. 

He had forgotten.

~~~

He stepped into an empty compartment, pulling her in behind him. They sat down next to each other and he grinned broadly at her.

"How was your summer?"

"It was fun. My parents took me and my sister to the seaside for a few weeks. I'm happy to be back though. How was yours?"

"It was okay. I just hung out at home mostly."

"Your dad?"

"Yeah."

She reached over and took his hand in hers, giving it a squeeze. "It's going to be okay, Ced. Your birthday is in a few weeks. Then you can do whatever you want."

He opened his mouth to say something when the door flew open. "Whoops, sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt you two confessing your love to each other."

"Oh shut up Finch-Fletchley." Cedric scowled at the younger boy in annoyance.

"If you want to snog her, don't mind me. Go right ahead." The boy smirked, taking a seat across from them.

"Just shut your mouth, Justin."

Iris pulled away, and he realized that his hand felt empty without her small one in it. He glared at Justin as though it was his fault, which it was.

"Wow. I'm really feeling to sexual tension in here. It's so thick I can't breathe. I think I'm going to get some fresh air." Justin sent him a wink before disappearing into the crowd outside.

"I could kill him." Cedric growled, then blinked in surprise. He had never said something that violent in his life.

Iris looked at him in shock and then started laughing at his expression.

"Oh shut up." He muttered.