Chapter 32: Episode VI: Return of the Aly

Start from the beginning

"Okay . . . Chance, are you alright?" Aly's voice questioned, concern evident.

"I'm fine," I lied. "See you soon."

I didn't even wait to hear Aly's reply before hanging up the phone, already regretting my decision of weakness.

But this wasn't weakness; I wasn't trying to spill the entirety of all my problems so I could have a shoulder to cry on. No, this was different. I was getting advice not attention. I wanted Aly to tell me what to do - not to tell how everything was okay, even when it was a blatant lie.

I just needed help.

And maybe, that in itself was weak and selfish. But sometimes, it's necessary to be weak and selfish; for without these mornings of self-indulgence, people would kill themselves trying to help other people.

And I just couldn't find it in me to die.

So I had called Aly, seeking her guidance.

And I waited.

Like I had waited all day; for a knock, a call, a text - anything.

And when I heard the distinct, thumping knock on my door, I was awaiting to see the short silhouette of a smirking dark-haired boy. The one who I had been pathetically waiting for.

Instead, I just saw Aly in all her anxious glory.

I could feel my heart sink to my feet, pooling at the ground beneath me as I let the girl in. My eyes were glued to the floor as I silently guided us to the space of my bedroom, closing the door behind us.

I stood, motionless as Aly flopped on my bed.

"Why haven't you been at school?"

"I'm sick . . .?" I tried, knowing the stupidity of my obvious lie.

Aly rolled her eyes at me. "You're being an idiot."

I smiled sadly before sighing. "I couldn't motivate myself to get out of the house."

"And your dad doesn't care?" Aly asked, curiosity sparking.

"No." I met her gaze cautiously. "I told him everything that happened and he said he . . . doesn't really mind."

Aly blinked a few times, her thoughts clearly flurrying in her head.

"Is it really that bad?"

I laughed, sound bitter. "I don't know. I think I'm over-exaggerating."

Aly stared up at me from her spot with obvious sadness in her gaze. I did nothing but stand still as her vision swept over me, inspecting.

"I think I can be the judge of that," she asserted. "What happened?"

I felt my fingers tense and my throat close up at the prospect, mind going hazy.

"It's . . . stupid now that I look back on it."

Aly sat up from her previously inclined position, patting the spot next to her. "It's probably not as bad as you think."