Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Changing into my comfiest clothing is the first thing I do when I get home. The second is grabbing ice-cream from the freezer before reuniting with my piano. I want to prove Jason wrong, that I can do things he might not expect from me. I want to be the kind of person that does more than the same thing over, and over.

How am I going to prove that? Well, that still a working progress for now. Breaking free from your comfort zone is insanely hard, like getting out of a warm bed in the morning.

I open the ice-cream tub and dig into it. The gooey cookies and cream taste amazing, even more when I find a cluster of cookies. Pushing the ice-cream aside, I open the lid to my piano and get to work. I need a song, and I certainly need it now.

"Take me to the base, take me to where it's happening. I want to get lost in the sound of your breathing," I sing as I push the keys on the piano.

"Who am I freaking kidding? I don't like writing pop music, and I have no idea what I just sang about."

"I'm a soul artist and Jason should respect that." Even just saying those words don't heal the broken crack in my heart. I was signed to my first record label, excited for the opportunities it might bring and now I'm back to square one, but in a worse position. I'm in negative territory and I don't know how to salvage that.

I didn't doubt Jason has good contacts, and I certainly wasn't going to question if he'd go through with his threat. I know he would. Jason seems ruthless like that, a cut throat kind of person who wasn't afraid to get his own way. I hate it now, but when I first met him, that was a charm that drew me towards him.

Weird, stupid, insane, yes, I know. It's always more appealing when it's working towards your favour.

With my head hung low, I find the perfect thing that will make me feel better, and no, that's not Kol for a change. The sound of Taylor Swift singing, Shake It Off, might make it better.

Moving away from the piano, I return to my bedroom and grab my phone. I click on my music app and search for her songs. As I click on the song, I connect my phone to my stereo and wait for it to come through.

When the sound of, Shake It Off, is blasting through, I click on Twitter and scroll through my feed. Jason and his new girl, Jolene, pop up with an interview to discuss the success of her new album and the tour she's getting with Jason.

Of course, she's going on a freaking tour, why wouldn't she? I feel like no matter how hard I try, whatever I do will never be good enough. Write a song, work really freaking hard on it, and land a deal at a record label just to be screwed over.

I'm always that person being screwed over. I wonder what I did in my past life to really screw up this one.

I know I want to be the girl that lives life, that takes each moment like it's her last... but being stabbed in the heart doesn't make it any easier. It's the same old ache you eventually get used to, but it doesn't make the process any easier.

But you know what? I don't need him, and I don't need that record label.

No, I needed that too.

Throwing my water damaged phone on the ground, I hear the screen shatter as it scatters across the floor.

"Fuck, I needed that phone too." I put the ice-cream away and grab a broom to clean up the mess on the ground. As I dispose of the broken device, the sound of someone knocking on the door alerts my attention.

Dropping my thoughts, I turn to the door and open it. Kol stands on the other side with a bouquet of flowers in pink cellophane.

Damn Kol, those flowers look really pretty.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I talked to the barista girl, Lauren?"

"Natalie," I correct.

"Yeah." He nods his head. "She told me you were dropped from the label, I just wanted to make sure you were okay," he explains.

"Won't your girlfriend be jealous you're bringing me flowers?" I snap.

"Oh, is this why you're ignoring me?" The sorrow slips from his face, and is replaced with a cold, hard look. "Cause that girlfriend of mine is my sister visiting from college."

"Oh, sister." I drop my gaze towards the ground and bite my lip. Well, shit, I didn't see that coming.

"She's the only family that talks to me. When I dropped out of college my parents stopped talking to me."

"Oh, Kol, I'm so sorry." I want to hug him, but the moment of weakness passes and the cold, hard, Kol returns. He really did suit his name.

"Tell me about the imprint." My moment of silence is Kol's invitation to walk into my apartment.

"You're welcome to come inside," I sarcastically say as I close the door.

"Thanks." He smiles innocently.

"There isn't much to tell, I admit. I had a tiff with Jason's girl, Jolene in the street. He also doesn't want to produce the kind of music I make. Now, he's threatened to ruin my career if I step towards another record label. He hates me, and I know he could make the world hate me too," I explain in a huff.

Kol doesn't say anything, but he does wrap me up in a tight hug that warms me up.

"I don't know what to say, Lola," he whispers.

"Please don't say you're sorry, I don't want to hear that again." I shake my head.

"Okay." Kol steps back and I smile. "I'm sure this girl's music is shit." He laughs.

"That's so mean." I half-laugh.

"We're not born to be perfect, Lola. Jolene doesn't care about out you, or how you're hurting."

"That doesn't make this right."

"Keep your morals away from me." He chuckles. "You can't deny this doesn't feel good." From the sparkle in his eyes, I'm questioning what he's referring to. The beef I have with Jolene or the blooming connection between ourselves.

Question: Lola has begun to realise her feelings for Kol, do you think he likes her back? Have you made the same mistake as Lola? Assumed something and then been caught out on it?