Forgetful Stories

"Elena, why do we have dreams?"

"We have dreams for different reasons. Some people dream of dark places, a place they have kept hidden away in their heart. They try to forget it when they are awake but it always finds a way to be remembered. Some dream of ancient lands, away from their inner demons, where what happened to them in the past doesn't defy them."

"So you're saying we dream of what we can never get in the real world? And that we have no control over what we dream about?"

"Nobody knows why we dream. We know how we dream, but not why. And I don't think knowing why we dream, is important. I think, dreams are a way to fulfill wishes and show our beliefs. Everyone dreams, Daniel. Good or bad, we can't stop them."

"My father always told me, that people who dream are not contented."

"That's not true. People dream when they are going through a hard patch in life. Like when they have to make a difficult decision. People dream of things they need. Happiness, for example, is one of the many things people dream about."

"So why do we never remember our dreams and why do we never remember the decision we made."

"Daniel, we never remember the decision, we remember that the decision made us happy. It's the brain's way of releasing some paranoia about 'what if it's the wrong thing to choose.' "

"What about the part where you said people dream of happiness?"

"It's not just happiness, it's about other feelings too. Like tranquility and being smart. People who are not happy, have an empty heart. So, their brain lends happiness to the heart through dreams. Something that person cannot afford to have while they're awake."

"That means my father is right. People who dream are not happy. They're just simply not contented!"

"If you put it that way. But we all dream. Even people who are happy with their life."

"That does not correspond with my earlier statement."

"So that just proves that no one in this world is happy. Or have everything they need."

"I'm happy and I have everything I need!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"So why do you have dreams?"

"..."

"..."

"I don't have dreams about being happy or being smart. I dream of weird stuff."

"Like?"

"Yesterday, I had a dream that I was on top of Mt. Everest."

"Well, that's your wish. To climb Mt. Everest."

"That doesn't mean I'm sad."

"That doesn't mean you're happy either. You dreamt of something that you clearly would like to do but you haven't done it."

 "Well, what about that one dream where, I was in someone's backyard and I saw a lady with 3 girls. One of them was of my age and she smiled and waved at me. I waved back and then I walked away."

"Did you feel as if your body was weightless and as if there was a bubble inside your chest?"

"Yeah, something like that. I was grinning when I woke up, it was so weird. How do you know?"

"You crave for the experience of love."

"If a girl in my dream waved at me and I woke up smiling, doesn't mean I like her!"

"Well, she definitely meant something if that included you waking up, grinning like a fool."

"I'm always grinning, and not like a fool, I might add."

"Daniel, mate, I've seen you in the morning. I'm your roommate. You don't say anything, you just walk around like a zombie until you get a cup of coffee."

"Well, Elena, you look like an English hobo every morning. And don't criticize me! You always yell at people when you have a headache, and to calm you down, I always have to shove a cup of tea in your face."

"Excuse me! Headaches are the worst thing to happen in the whole of human history. Don't roll your eyes at me! The headaches I get are beyond my ability to tolerate pain." "Furthermore, for your information, tea is waaaay better than bitter coffee."

"I love my American coffee and my American self, thank you very much."

"You're just jealous of my accent, mate. And, that you're not British."

" For a matter of fact, I don't even like Brits or Great Britain. Your accent royally sucks."

"Shut up idiot. Don't think I haven't heard you try and imitate a British accent."

"What!? You're such a liar. Grow up Elena. You're in uni."

 "Eh,eh,eh. Only a Brit can say 'uni' and that just proves that you've been trying to learn the way I speak."

"Does not. Be a little multicultural. Americans can speak the way Brits speak. You're in the medical field, you should be more open minded and not just keep all the good stuff to yourself."

"That's not multiculturalism. Technically, you just admitted that Brits are better than Americans."

"I did not and we're going off topic. We supposed to be discussing about dreams."

"Dreams represent everything that we need, want and what we believe in. A way to fulfill our hopes that had been crushed a long time ago. A way to take some stress off and to give yourself confidence. Or sometimes, it's the other way round. They give us something to think about. We stumble upon the solution of a problem that we had given up on. Often, the best ideas for books, come from dreams. Dreams are something inexplicably hard to explain. We never forget them. They are just locked away in a small vault inside our brain. We can't open it even if we want to. Only, certain events, experiences, opportunities can open that vault. Most of my colleagues believe that dreams are just random and have no purpose. But they do. Everything has a reason. Some are just hidden. And I don't think anyone will find that reason. The Creator of this universe would have shown the reason by now if it was meant to be shown."

"The last part is not scientific."

"Not everything has to be about Science. Sometimes you just have to believe that what no one knows, is known by the Creator."

"I think I'm going to hold on to that theory."

"Me too."

__________________________